You can visit Einstein's brain, Rasputin's penis, Galileo's middle finger, and other historic human curiosities

Originally published at: You can visit Einstein's brain, Rasputin's penis, Galileo's middle finger, and other historic human curiosities - Boing Boing

5 Likes

Weirdest Frankenstein Monster, ever!

5 Likes

Via Allan Rose Hill

Obligatory…

9 Likes

i’ll never forget having a wonderfully interesting afternoon in the British science museum in London at a nearly deserted upper corner devoted to mechanical numeric ‘engines’ and naturally they had many amazing intricate artifacts of Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace and… there was Charles Babbage’s brain in a jar! … wow! didn’t expect that.

7 Likes

Not as many cogs as I’d imagined.

9 Likes

No, thank you.

2 Likes

The uncaptioned image at the top of the blog post is of Galileo’s finger (allegedly)

2 Likes

Galileo’s middle finger is housed in Florence’s Galileo Museum.

I can’t remember if I saw this. I did see his tomb and many reliquaries.

1 Like

Hoot! I love her!

1 Like

I did – it isn’t with his tomb but rather in the History of Science Museum in Florence (these days it’s called the Galileo Museum as I guess that would have more name recognition but it has a lot of other cool stuff not Galileo-related as well).

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that it was actually a sea cucumber.

Also disappointed at no mention of the holy prepuce.

For more on this, don’t miss Steven Levy’s classic 1978 article about how he helped find Einstein’s brain!

Did you mean to link the article? The list just has a 404 over at Mutter:

I pulled up the actual longread in the wayback machine:

So there isn’t an extended version?

3 Likes

Regretably, even if the penis is genuine, it wasn’t 13 inches in life. Because of the nature of the tissue in a penis, with long immersion in embalming fluid, it swells to well beyond the size it had in life. Byron’s member has a similar legend attached to it.

1 Like

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.