When in Philadelphia, don't miss the “disturbingly informative” Mütter Museum

Originally published at: When in Philadelphia, don't miss the "disturbingly informative" Mütter Museum | Boing Boing

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, I’d agree. When I went they had an extensive display of the med kit and diary of the doctor for the Merriweather-Lewis expedition. It was fascinating to read first-hand accounts of how he slowly poisoned (unwittingly) a good number of the party with mercury right next to the actual vial of mercury from his bag. Awesome museum.

3 Likes

My daughter went to Temple Univ. in Philadelphia, so whenever we could we dropped in to take in this wonderful (and wonderfully displayed collection). Thankfully, she is just as skewed as I am…not sure how that happened.

Don’t miss it.

2 Likes

This is like the 4th post about the Mutter today… is someone trying to tell me something?

Also, I thought this had stuff from the Mutter, but it’s not, it’s the Historical Medical Library of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, so same city, at least… but I’ll put it here anyways:

Also… LOOK AT THE NUMBER OF COMMENTS!!!

bill hader snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

I love medical museums. My local medical museum is lighter on the macabre items, but has a huge collection of contraceptive displays and diagnostic tools. Museum History - Dittrick Medical History Center

1 Like

I loved going to this museum when I lived in Philly. It’s a very informative museum about the human condition, and treated with the utmost respect. Anyone coming to this museum expecting to see a freak show will be sorely disappointed. For obvious reasons they don’t allow pictures.

2 Likes

Also a fan of medical museums, been to Mutter, and would recommend. It’s like one of those huge victorian libraries you see in the movies, but filled with preserved and mounted body parts on shelves, tables, and in drawers.

the ONE TIME I was in Philly to see the Dead Milkmen farewell show, we got there a day early to go to the Mutter museum and they were closed for a private fundraiser or something. total rip off.

1 Like

This looks interesting in DC:

1 Like

And that mercury was used to confirm some Lewis and Clark campsites.

1 Like

They came within 2 miles of our family farm. Maybe I should have the soil sampled.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.