Magical History Tour

6 Likes

She just thought it was Mardi Gras at the time… :sob:

And then…

Things changed gradually. Over the course of that first year, a few white parents let their children back into the school. At first they were kept separate from Bridges. “The principal, who was part of the opposition, would take the kids and she would hide them, so that they would never come in contact with me.” Towards the end of the first year, however, on Henry’s insistence, Bridges was finally allowed to be part of a small class with other six-year-olds. “A little boy then said to me: ‘My mom said not to play with you because you’re a ________,’” Bridges recalls. “And the minute he said that, it was like everything came together. All the little pieces that I’d been collecting in my mind all fit, and I then understood: the reason why there’s no kids here is because of me, and the colour of my skin. That’s why I can’t go to recess. And it’s not Mardi Gras. It all sort of came together: a very rude awakening. I often say today that really was my first introduction to racism.”

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Sometimes I hate this stupid country.

9 Likes

This is a helluva documentary.

My hat is off to both of the women in it, and their willngessness to record this. It is very hard to watch.

Please be advised that there are some disturbing images and situations in this video doc. It is however very very well done.

Gutted.
It’s haunted me days after I watched it once.

Thematically related, but on a different emotional note, this… which I found all too easy to imagine happening in the U.S., if the fascists come to power in a more expansive, entrenched way:

Just to try to end on an upnote about all this:

Resist!
Sir Nicholas Winton did!

8 Likes
3 Likes

9 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

Meanwhile, here in 2021…

6 Likes

This includes a description of right-wing violence, so consider it a trigger warning.

And… looking forward to this…

[ETA] Because I can’t post more than twice in a row…

4 Likes
3 Likes

The government hushed up the sinking of a transport ship during WWII, and a sergeant’s family is now learning his fate

7 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

34 years ago Britain finally got it’s first Black MPs

The other Black MPs elected in 1987

Some people also include Keith Vaz, but he wasn’t the first MP of South Asian ethnicity to be elected

8 Likes
2 Likes

6 Likes