Magical History Tour

This video always makes me chuckle. Imagine telling a record company “… and we’ll have Donald Sutherland in the video” and getting an “Ok” in reply.

3 Likes

Are you kidding? That’s brilliant casting! And besides, what record company would have said NO to Kate Bush? A very stupid one that did not like money.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I cried reading that.

3 Likes

Exactly - how many artists could get away with asking for an A-List actor in their video? With any non-Kate Bush artist, the financial people would simply say “no, get a decent unknown actor and we’ll save a ton of money” and that would be that. But with Kate Bush, it’s obviously different. That’s where I get the chuckle from.

And yep, it’s great casting. I love him in this.

2 Likes

She claims he didn’t charge much. She sold him the idea and he went along.

As you would

3 Likes
3 Likes

Wow… WOW!

8 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Sometimes, with all the “blame and kill the women” incidents in history, I wonder how the population wasn’t hopelessly skewed… :woman_facepalming:t4:

4 Likes

Well they did pick on (skewing) older and single women in the witch hunts. No doubt the victims skewed lesbian. I did read a few histories of the witch trial fever in Europe and up to a third were men in some parts of Europe (what’s the bets they skewed gay?) But the modal victim was a non breeding woman, and outside of childbirth women would have outlived men then too.

Sorry for the crassness of the above, I guess my point is that Christian male oppression then, as now, tends to view women as worthwhile only insofar as they are vessels for men’s children.

2 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

I recently watched Steve McQueen’s dramatization of that strike, Hunger. Excellent, and very much enhanced by McQueen’s artist-eye.

4 Likes

I’ve never seen that… I’ll have to check it out…

3 Likes

Brilliant. What a great film. The physical committment that Fassbinder brought to the role (not the emaciation, I think he was exasperated by people continually banging on about that, but the beatings while naked were terrifying), Ends Walsh’s script which trusted the audience to be intelligent, and when I heard the Turner prize winning artist McQueen was making his feature debut with this I knew it was perfect. His art background really showed in his shot selection (starting with the screw soaking his fists and showing the horror of being a screw and checking your car for bombs in the morning before having a day break in between beating naked prisoners senseless. Or the scene where he keeps a relentless shot on the guy brushing the piss down the corridor and collecting it all to brush under the door of Sands’ cell).

Great film. I’m a big McQueen fan.

3 Likes

Speaking of McQueen and history, I imagine you’ve seen his Small Axe series? Astounding!

4 Likes

Not all, but I will. Lovers rock is my favourite film of the last year. Riveting and immersive.

Currently listening to Brixton: flames on the frontline curated by Big Narstie sitting in the warm evening sun with a glass of wine before dinner (and it’s a public holiday weekend because of Mayday). BBC sounds app if you’re interested. I know you like a bit of reggae, lovers rock, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks, you two! Small Axe is now on my watch list.

4 Likes