4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

TIL about Fanny Crosby:

4 Likes

Universities in Bochum, Hamburg and Gießen set up Corona Archive

Plugged into Google Translate:
The universities in Bochum, Hamburg and Gießen want to create a digital memory of the pandemic with a corona archive. The researchers are calling to upload personal memories and finds from everyday life about the crisis online. Pictures, o-tones and videos are searched. The experience with ban on contacts, exit restrictions or contagion risks should be preserved for the future, as the universities announced on Friday.

“As quickly as these contemporary testimonials come, they can disappear again as quickly as possible. Our hope is that the project will enable us to document the various voices in this crisis period in the long term,” explained Benjamin Roers from the University of Gießen.

Prof. Thorsten Logge from the University of Hamburg emphasized: “We know how unequal and socially determined the tradition of the past is often. Therefore it is important that we start collecting and archiving the diverse experiences around Corona today.”

IOW, collecting the sources of historians to come.

https://coronarchiv.geschichte.uni-hamburg.de/projector/s/coronarchiv/page/willkommen

1 Like

I’ve heard of this project before. What I didn’t know was that a young Carl Sagan was part of the team.
1 Like

It is sad that our history can be lost so easily

“As an idea of the kind of thing we lost, we had a fully signed Arsenal-Carlisle programme from the FA Cup in 1951, which had every single signature on it. It was one of the first things I looked for after the 2015 flood, and when I found it, it was congealed, matted together and unsaveable. The ink of the signatures had all just run. That was lost.

“We also had a catalogue of Roma stuff [referring to Carlisle’s incredible Anglo-Italian Cup victory in the Olympic Stadium in 1972], from match tickets to programmes…there was also a little miniature Roma cap thing that was stapled to the programme. It was just absolutely destroyed; the cap had started to disintegrate, and that all ended up in the skip too.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Watch: Rare Second World War footage of Bletchley Park-linked MI6 intelligence heroes emerges, shared online

The footage was handed to the trust in its original film canister by a donor who asked not to be identified. The trust asked World War II veteran Geoffrey Pidgeon, who joined Section VIII at the age of 17, to authenticate the footage.
[…]
The trust is asking those who view the film and recognize someone to get in touch via email.

1 Like
4 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Made his pile thanks to the Crimean War and the US Civil War, had some sort of midlife-crisis, got a divorce, went to Turkey, dug out Troy.

1 Like
3 Likes