Magical History Tour

3 Likes
2 Likes
13 Likes

There’s a whole alternative history novel in there.

3 Likes

This is great, thank you!

3 Likes

Alternative. Right.

okayjlaw

2 Likes

Happy birthday, ARM1. It is 35 years since Britain’s Acorn RISC Machine chip sipped power for the first time

Furber and fellow engineer Sophie Wilson had enjoyed considerable success back in the 1980s at Acorn Computers – Britain’s answer to Apple – thanks to the BBC Micro, based on the ageing MOS 6502 processor. Famously, the duo had managed to put together a prototype microcomputer in a week or so to satisfy the BBC, leading to the launch of the eponymous Acorn-built home computer in 1981.
[…]
Acorn co-founder Hermann Hauser recalled: “While IBM spent months simulating their instruction sets on large mainframes, Sophie did it all in her brain.”

5 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

It has been 20 years since cybercrims woke up to social engineering with an intriguing little email titled ‘ILOVEYOU’

5 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

That’s the first time I have ever heard or read anything about the CLC.

5 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

A bit of history that is distant in the American consciousness, but much closer to home for me.

Due to their suffering under Nazi occupation and the success of their modern-day social democratic state, the Dutch are often seen as the “good” Europeans.

The people of the global south have a somewhat different perspective:

6 Likes

They have good stuff on that channel.
He sometimes goes a bit over the top in his delivery (which somehow reminds me of General Turgidson), but as far as I can tell they really do their research. And often find little-known details that offer a new perspective on stuff I thought I knew reasonable well.

2 Likes

It’s a double anniversary today as we take a moment to ponder 30 years since Windows 3.0 set Microsoft on the road to desktop GUI dominance and celebrate three decades of Microsoft Solitaire.

3 Likes