Magical History Tour

HOW DARE YOU CONTRADICT THE TITLE OF A BOOK I ONCE READ!!?? :grin:

Yeah, you’re right—comparisons are impossible. How do you calculate the personal wealth of Genghis Khan or Suleiman the Magnificent? Fugger is in a different category, though, in having made his money in business rather than by conquest or just being a king.

Wikipedia says his inflation-adjusted net worth was over $400 billion, more than two bezoses and 2% of the GDP of Europe at the time. Then as now, his wealth obviously gave him far too much power.

4 Likes

He’s as bad a bet as any of them!

3 Likes
4 Likes

:thinking: Looks right… from German Atomic Bomb Project | Atomic Heritage Foundation

5 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

“He worked as the official photographer for Stax Records.”

Thats why his name rang a bell, I had no idea about the other stuff. Thanks!

2 Likes

An interesting article that shows how public perception of prominent people can be distorted in a way that influences our view of history:

But the poet’s story has been overwritten by people who trumped her simply by being alive after her death. Rudolf Besier, and indeed Katharine Cornell and Sidney Franklin, persisted with their fictional version of Barrett Browning because they knew that they’d dreamed up just the sort of thing audiences love.

7 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
10 Likes

“ Minutes later, four of his colleagues swooped in and filled multiple suitcases with FBI files and quietly drove away, not knowing if they’d found anything of value.

What they found uncovered a nationwide program of illegal surveillance and harassment, which in turn led to the discovery of J. Edgar Hoover’s invasive COINTELPRO operation, congressional hearings and ultimately oversight of the FBI after it had operated autonomously for decades and openly referred to its headquarters as “the Seat of Government.”

“ Now, the state of Pennsylvania is commemorating the crime. On Wednesday, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission will dedicate a historical marker at the building in Media where the burglary occurred.”

6 Likes

A reprint of an interview with James Loewen, who wrote “Lies My Teacher Told Me”, etc.:

7 Likes

The theme of lies really struck a chord with me this morning. As the anniversary of 9/11 approaches, how history of the event is not being taught was pointed out in the report below. This idea that anything negative or tragic in history should be ignored, avoided, and/or deliberately misinterpreted is toxic. Now we have an entire generation that’s been kept clueless on this subject, while we watch efforts to do the same to the next through legislation: :woman_facepalming:t4:

7 Likes

Exactly!

It’s the way we ‘teach’ (or avoid teaching) history that condemns us to repeat it.

7 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes