Magical History Tour

4 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

This could also go in the music thread, too, so I’ll cross-post…

5 Likes

This was crossposted, but I was wrong that it should have been over there.

1 Like
4 Likes

Thanks. There’s some sort of magic to link the posts in a more useful way, but damned if I can figure out how to invoke it.

1 Like

It’s quite mild! Interestingly it seems to think that his invasion of the North might have been a sensible tactic which isn’t, I thought, generally held. He does accord (the author being reviewed) with the general view that Lee believed his own bullshit about the military prowess of his army. They abandoned their advantage in territory and manoeuvrability to face a pitched battle with superior forces to entirely predictable results.

According to this he did it because a) the traitors couldn’t afford a long war and b) they believed they were better. The usual view was, I thought, that they fought the wrong war. Let the North wear itself out in your terrain, Harry, hit and run and avoid them when their positions were set. Keep the war going until European capital decides it was okay with the confederates.

4 Likes

On this day, 13 November 1938, US screen icon and Black Panther supporter Jean Seberg, who was hounded to death by the FBI, was born in Iowa . She provided large amounts of financial support to the NAACP, Native American education groups, and the Panthers, including the free breakfast for school children program. As part of the FBI’s COINTELPRO program to attack radical groups she already had her phone tapped and they decided to neutralise her, planting false stories in the press which eventually led to the death of her premature baby and her subsequent suicide.

More info in this article by Elaine Brown, a Panther leader and one of Seberg’s Party contacts:

10 Likes

That could be cross-posted to Misogyny, Black Lives Matter STILL, and GOP Asshats…not the kind of intersectionality we want.

7 Likes
4 Likes
8 Likes

Anybody listening to one of those? Thoughts & recommendations, perhaps?

6 Likes
5 Likes

I have listened to at least one episode of Making gay History, and it was good. The Slow Burn podcast sounds interesting, too. So does Throughline.

5 Likes

Bannon arrested today is history rhyming?

7 Likes
6 Likes

What are your favorite history podcasts?

1 Like

I don’t listen to a lot of podcasts, so… These are just some I’ve read about that I have not listened to yet. I did hear the Making Gay History, but just an episode.

2 Likes
7 Likes