Magical History Tour

8 Likes

The Channel Islands were not only UK territory occupied by the Nazis but site of horrific concentration camps. Because it comes with the territory.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Franklin was akin to those who historically reside under bridges.

Also - the articles assertions about Lord Cornbury not cross dressing are unsupported. They seem to come out of one writer who said she just couldn’t believe it. But one of the sources she notes and disbelieves is a woman called a founder of that era’s history and who lived through it. So - we believe her for everything but the reports about Cornbury?

5 Likes
13 Likes

https://xtramagazine.com/culture/tv-film/laws-of-love-film-restoration-208929

Lost during Nazi rule in Germany, one of the world’s first pro-gay films has finally been restored for modern viewers

Filmmaker and scientist Magnus Hirschfeld’s “Laws of Love” promoted his controversial views about sex

9 Likes

Awesome Sam Didier GIF by Jerology

3 Likes
12 Likes
3 Likes

111 years ago.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Wow, that was an eye-opener. Thanks for sharing it! I’d first heard of that town in the lyrics of the Indigo Girls’ song, “Southland in the Springtime.” Seemed like a cool place to check out. I’ll add the indigenous sites to my trip list, and keep the writer’s advice about the tourists and residents in mind.

6 Likes

Like her, I have a soft spot for the kitschy tourist stuff in North GA and TN… But I would also feel weird in the same way she mentioned given how extreme politics have openly gotten in that part of the state (and I’m white). That stuff was always there, but it’s gotten more brazen since Trump. It’s unfortunate, as even without those old roadside attractions, it’s just beautiful up there in the foothills, especially this time of the year.

Another thing up there to visit is Paradise Gardens:

https://paradisegardenfoundation.org/

Which can you also see in REM’s Radio Free Europe with Howard Finster

[ETA] Also… the Indigo Girls are Agnes Scott Emory alums! They used to live in the same apartment building as my late FIL when my better half was a kid. He said they used to sit outside and play sometimes (well before they got big).

6 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes