14 Likes

And they put dog collars on people

7 Likes
6 Likes

holds secret we’ll never know

Sounds like a challenge to me…

Money Vault GIF by NETFLIX

6 Likes

This is a clear, concise, and (as far as I can tell) accurate history of housing in Chicago over the past 100 years:

5 Likes

Actually, I should include the entire project’s website:

It’s an excellent partnership between the South Side Weekly, WTTW (local PBS station) and the Invisible Institute.

5 Likes

This reminds me of Boston:

Another installment of Michael Harriot’s Black History Month series, a humorous lesson about explorers in the Americas & Caribbean: :laughing:

6 Likes

There’s a nearby (to some of us) monument regarding some of this:

I think Garrido fought with the Spanish in the first slave rebellion in the Americas by the Taino in Puerto Rico against the Spanish in 1511.

4 Likes
3 Likes

News about preserving, teaching, and building upon history:

9 Likes

It’s not 100% yet, but most newspapers published in the States between 1777-1963 are now fully digitized at the Library of Congress:

For example, most of the Black-owned newspapers in Chicago are available on that site, but the Chicago Defender is conspicuously missing. No idea why.

8 Likes

More details on the reason for gaps in their collection and projects to expand the collection of digitized records appear here:

Link to the dynamic list of African American newspapers (FTA):

7 Likes

Excellent links, thanks!

But I still can’t understand why the largest, longest-running Black newspaper in Chicago isn’t recorded there yet, you know? It’s not a case of being obscure or from a small town or only running for a short time.

7 Likes

Maybe it had to do with the owners? Well, it’s on Howard University’s list here, so it should be joining the rest in the next five years. They did note legal and copyright issues in the linked article, too, so it will take longer than that to reach 100%. That means researchers might still have to travel or get online access to special collections to see the rest.

6 Likes

Still, excellent work so far!

7 Likes
9 Likes

From the thread…

Bikini Bottom Swoon GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

4 Likes
7 Likes

For Women’s History Month, here is information about upcoming online events and the theme for this year:
https://womenshistorymonth.gov/

7 Likes
10 Likes