Magical History Tour

Native Chicagoan who woke up to exactly that: AMA.

10 Likes

Independence Hall Retrieves Special Document From Archives To Show Connection With People Of Ukraine

6 Likes

11 Likes

I hope someone buys it and opens it as is. Beautiful.

9 Likes

Isn’t that what most bowling alleys look like? That’s part of the attraction!

6 Likes

Did they have automatic pin setters back then, or did they still rely on underpaid teenagers?

7 Likes

After adjusting for inflation I’d wager those underpaid teens were making more than the current minimum wage.

7 Likes

Then they can hire them cheaply?

Never mind, the google tells me that machinery was in use by that time.

Not everywhere though.

5 Likes

Okay, “pinsetter” is the machine. “Pin Chaser” is the person who flags down escaped pins and resets the machine when it gets jammed, or repairs the machine (within their scope of expertise) when they break down.

I was a pin chaser for a couple of years, and our mechanic used to be an honest-to-dog pin chaser before the machines came.

8 Likes

New ones look more like the ones in this article. Nothing but flat screens as far as the eye can see. :grimacing:

I like “pin spotter” as the term for people working in the completely manual lanes. I did that job a few times, and taking your eyes off the pins could easily lead to a head injury.

7 Likes

Ewwwww.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah. No thank you!

I should join a bowling league.

6 Likes
15 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Reading that tweet on the mosaic led to this chuckle:

8 Likes
5 Likes

Spoiler alert: he didn’t. Hitler trolled? gaslighted? Chamberlain, sort of.

4 Likes

The Fairlight CMI. Quite a lot of your favorite music made possible by a couple of Australian Happy Mutants.

“Neither of us was that interested in making money. It just wasn’t on the agenda. Which is really a bad thing if you’re trying to run a business.”

7 Likes