Magical History Tour

From what I remember from some history courses, didn’t it kind of depend on the order? Like the difference between monks and friars, and some even provided schools or medical aid?

1 Like

I’m sure you’re right about that! But in general, they weren’t places where kids ran around.

Besides, at the time, religious folk were nearly 100% of the literate population. In general children (and most adults) didn’t know how to write their own names.

3 Likes

11 Likes

“While we are taught to view the American Revolution as, well, revolutionary—a toppling of power, the establishment of popular democracy—we might also understand it as a conservative action. The colonial elite weren’t sharing power with the masses. They were protecting their power from the King of England. In other words, they didn’t want to pay taxes, and they wanted to control the colonies—soon to be states—themselves. So we can slide two different imaginative lenses over our visions of pheasant hunts outside the State in Schuylkill’s castle or the meetings over coffee and roasted pheasant at the City Tavern. Here are insurgents raising capital and crafting strategy to fight off the British Empire. Or, here are wealthy men creating protected spaces to meet with other wealthy men, making deals to ensure their personal fortunes.“

8 Likes

Mark Pauline: Jesus, why didn’t I think of that!!!

2 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes

The kids have always been alright!

8 Likes

Possibly, anyway.

9 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes

https://xtramagazine.com/culture/music/norma-tanega-folk-music-retrospective-221984

5 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

Another Lucy Worsley series I’ll be watching:

8 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes

Do we do pre-history on this thread?

Quite the victory for citizen science. It seems that cave paintings weren’t only art after all.

12 Likes