Magical History Tour

1953:

In an example of the lengths to which the “Red Scare” in America is going, Mrs. Thomas J. White of the Indiana Textbook Commission calls for the removal of references to the book Robin Hood from textbooks used by the state’s schools.

[…]

10 Likes
7 Likes

Of course he was, just like Jesus.

8 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

Will cross-post to the transgender awareness thread…

9 Likes

I love this guy… discovered him from Max Miller’s channel… He reads some Robert Burns in this one on Haggis…

On another topic, they’ve gentrified the Chelsea Hotel…

7 Likes
6 Likes

GLENWHILLY (n. Scots)

A small tartan pouch worn beneath the kilt during the thistle-harvest.

6 Likes

Great find-

It goes to show that just about everything that people see as traditionally Scottish is actually filtered though multiple different layers of politics and interpretation over time- outright suppression of traditional culture, attempts to preserve it as it was dying out, a political reinterpretation of that culture to make it and the land that produced it less threatening to the powerful elite, the commercial imperative to sell it to various audiences and how the local population have reacted to all of the above make for an interesting tale.

5 Likes

Cross posted from the BLM thread:

10 Likes

I note that near the end of the video he says he is trying to preserve “Scotch culture”. None of this “Scottish” stuff.

“We referred to ourselves as Scotch and not Scots. When, years later, I learned that the usage in Scotland was different it seemed to me rather an affectation.”
– John Kenneth Galbraith, The Scotch, referring to his small-town Ontario upbringing.

1 Like
5 Likes
7 Likes

I read somewhere a different take on it, which registered immediately (to me) as being the right interpretation:

Eadburg didn’t write her own name, it was some monk (nun?) who was infatuated with her. Just like a modern school child would do in their textbooks and journals while daydreaming in class.

6 Likes

I have a different take, which is how monasteries often were the center of a community, so there’s kids around, right? Maybe some impish young person got into the inkwell when they weren’t supposed to?

Related: One of my favorite pastimes in church was to doodle, and I’m sure my mom did it to keep me occupied and not fidgety.

2 Likes

Are you thinking of churches, maybe? Monasteries are about being removed from the secular world.

2 Likes