Magical History Tour

Google Maps has finally changed the names on their maps. Fort Hood TX is now Fort Cavazos. Fort Lee VA is now Fort Gregg-Adams

I had never heard of the Memorial Day massacre. Thanks!

7 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

6 Likes

And Paul Revere wasn’t all that heroic in that night and is only that famous because of that poem.
Go figure.

9 Likes

In 1813 Laura Secord, at 38 years old, walked 32 km (20 miles) to warn Lieutenant James FitzGibbon, commander of a small British and militia force, and a larger number of Kahnawake (Mohawk) warriors, about a planned American attack on his forces. This allowed Fitzgibbon and the First Nations warriors to prepare an ambush and defeat a larger American force at the Battle of Beaver Dams, taking about 500 American prisoners.

In 1860, when Secord was 85, the Prince of Wales was travelling in Canada when he learned of Laura Secord’s plight as an aging widow and sent an award of £100. This was the only official recognition that she received during her lifetime.

9 Likes

Please tell me she did not do it side-saddle!

5 Likes

One problem right now is some modern scholars are questioning the accuracy of the Sybil Ludington story. I’m curious to know if it’s out of a search for truth, or just misogyny in academics. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

7 Likes

And here is Emmitt IRL…

from

Someone should send this to Caitlin Doughty!

[ETA]

12 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

10 minutes from a comedian on the nearest Australia came to a civil war (which was not the Eureka Stockade, not even close), and how the Australian Federal Police was founded.

5 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes

IMG_8732

12 Likes

That’s not a proper Hamlet photo. Where is the requisite skull?

5 Likes

He said he knew him and enjoyed his jests. He never promised him passage to America. /s

4 Likes