Magical History Tour

I mean, it’s true, but they also did everything that’s being condemned on the American side - expansionism & land grabs: just look at Canada or a third of the world’s surface area. They’re hardly better for black and indigenous people either, as colonised people the world over would attest to, and the last part about gender strikes me as very odd. The British Empire was not well known for the status of women within it at all.

And an overall assessment of “at best no progress at all”, just ignores all the other ugly parts of Georgian Britain, like literal rule by royals and aristocrats.

6 Likes

Mood Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Yes, it’s also a settler colony… I think many of us are aware of that. However, the tweet was not about Canada, but about challenging the idea that the American revolution was a radical one.

Can we not criticize the US unless we also bring criticism to every other political power on the planet? That’s not really productive for a conservation about how to improve this country by more accurately describing it’s past… it’s just sort of pointless whataboutism, I’d argue.

Or it highlights the failures of the Revolutionaries, and highlights how few people actually benefited from the revolution. It was indeed mostly wealthy land owners sore about taxation.

7 Likes

I’m not saying that, I’m just taking issue with the comparison made in the original post. There’s a reason that the American Revolution was viewed as progressive and inspired people over the centuries,- for all its (many, many) flaws, its bourgeois revolution did represent a radical step forward from the feudal absolutism of its day. Of course it now looks flawed and incomplete, after two centuries of further struggle to make further progress and get us closer to the ideals that the founders preached, but were not exactly hot on practising. (and as a side note, the people who now want to preserve it unchanged as it was in 1779 are hideous reactionaries.)

2 Likes
8 Likes

point pointing GIF by Shalita Grant

Her statement was generally anti-colonial, not a support of one colonial power over another…

6 Likes

Oh and her history podcast rules.

It’s the antidote to

6 Likes

An interesting history lesson from Rachel Maddow about the rise of fascism in France and similarities/differences with the US (set at 3:45):

3 Likes
5 Likes

And…

6 Likes
6 Likes

Some results when doing an image search for “battle kilt”…

:thinking:

6 Likes

Apparently a.k.a. “Gun Tape”. In the Pacific theater, fighter aircraft guns were capped with duck tape after they were serviced to keep sand out. This had the bonus of being a quick, visual indicator for pilots when a gun wasn’t firing.

5 Likes

from

3 Likes

British aircraft used a red tape to keep out insects and moisture and to tell the pilot conducting a walk-around that the guns were ready. They couldn’t act as an indicator of failing guns though because the leading edge is too far forward of the pilot to be seen.

2 Likes

Peter Falk Detective GIF by PeacockTV

3 Likes
5 Likes

Those things were real and not just props in films and TV shows set up by set dressers who were experimenting with whatever substances they could lay their sweaty little hands on?

4 Likes

Many of the games released in the USA that we grew up with and love are out of print, which is a bummer for those keen to preserve and chronicle the nation’s computing past.

Following some research, the Video Game History Foundation this week concluded 87 percent of classic games published in America are “critically endangered.” At stake is a huge chunk of computing’s early history – not to mention some cracking computer games – Phil Salvador, library director at the foundation, told The Register on Monday.

[…]

4 Likes

Funny, because I find lionising the American Revolution tracks 100% with white supremacist conservatives in other parts of the English speaking world. Beginning with Edmund Burke (I’m a Burkean Liberal = I’m fash) and on the the English Conservative and Unionist Party.

5 Likes

I’ve seen them IRL…

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes