Magical History Tour

Can also confirm, they’re real. Ms. Pane’s grandparents, and my fathers parents, had that couch.

5 Likes

Walked past this many times & wanted a peak inside. It’s been closed for half a century.

6 Likes

Many of my friends in high school had one of those couches, usually in the basement as they’d been replaced in the main living area with newer couches. I spent a lot of time watching movies or playing video games sitting on those things.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Nazis really are just the worst… they ruin everything…

11 Likes

So far, I’ve seen stuff from my past in sitcoms like The Bob Newhart Show (the kitchen renovation), and Mary Tyler Moore (various pieces of furniture).

4 Likes
5 Likes

Lausanne was a disaster, that betrayed the Armenians, the Kurds and the Greek minority in Anatolia. The sad lesson in realpolitik that it taught the world, was that you can get away with genocide and ethnic cleansing, and the “great powers” of the world will do nothing.

6 Likes

Needed slight correction.

7 Likes

And you’re not wrong.

6 Likes
10 Likes

A Chinese Woman Led the Largest and Most Successful Pirate Fleet in History.

7 Likes

I found a copy of that 1935 edition of “Mr. Glasspoole and the Chinese Pirates” on line.

It’s quite a read; I’m surprised there hasn’t been a movie. Obviously, it’s a British Empire narrative and the illustrations are … colourful, but for having that as a starting point it is reasonably businesslike, not gratuitously slanderous, and almost even handed.

Question: “To bream” (verb) as in “to bream a ship”. Anyone know what that means?

4 Likes

3 Likes

According to the comments - it’s Barbara Walters father’s nightclub. Not broadway.

3 Likes

Sorry for the injection of humor:

6 Likes

Been watching this guy’s video, debunking right wing alt-history and other right wing youtubers who put out videos on actual history…

It does an excellent take down of how the period we know as the Crusades have been heavily distorted by those on the far right.

9 Likes
4 Likes

Reminder no. 1 million and 17 that culture matters in history, and we should study it and how it shapes the world around us…

8 Likes

We all know that books burn- yet we have the greater knowledge that books can not be killed by fire. People die, but books never die. No man and no force can abolish memory… In this war, we know, books are weapons. And it is a part of your dedication always to make them weapons for man’s freedom.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

7 Likes