10 Likes

Swiped from @KathyPartdeux :

5 Likes

https://tmbw.net/wiki/TMBG.ORG_FAQ

8 Likes

:thinking: Truth Plaque program…I like that! :+1:t4:

8 Likes
5 Likes

The Fab Four rode into town on the back of a fish truck, per famed Philly DJ Hy Lit.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Missing artifacts from WWII Nazi code breaker found with Colorado woman

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/missing-artifacts-from-wwii-nazi-code-breaker-found-with-colorado-woman/ar-AA1ggdzt?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=550defe3f6ff46eda066d26ead7e2df1&ei=32

Alan Turing

8 Likes

Turing died a controversial death in 1954

Pop Tv What GIF by Schitt's Creek

That’s a funny way to say that the government’s homophobic policies hounded him to suicide

Also… what the hell was up with that woman? Is this a case of posthumous stalking?

11 Likes

But hey, they pardoned him! In 2013. After some friendly persuasion.

Anyway, the items were to be returned a bit sooner, but I suppose Covid messed up that schedule too.

7 Likes
8 Likes

I’ve been watching the tv show Crimes Gone Viral while I paint, and it got me thinking of what hold-ups and robberies might have been like back a few centuries ago…

7 Likes
10 Likes
3 Likes

See, now THIS is interesting war history to me! WHEN DID IT START! Yes, that’s the kind of questions we should be asking, as debating whether the Japanese invasion of China or the bombing of Guernica gives us a better understanding of the contours of conflict, and how they’re not just about neat little battles happening between two particular forces… I think that it could give us some insight into our current era of globalized conflict that keeps seemingly escalate every day.

Also a great reminder of why we need to keep training historians… even events that we as “settled” history can be in flux depending on new resources or more importantly, new insights into the past based on new ways of thinking about the world…

7 Likes

I once read a thread on Twitter that I found very interesting. He was a journalist talking about how the First World War had started in the Middleeast at the end of the 19th century, due to tensions and conflicts in the region of the Ottoman Empire.

I wish I had saved this text, so I could study it more.

It seems tempting to apply lessons from the past in our time. But this escalation of conflicts, the increase in military expenditure in Europe and the pace of the Chinese military complex give me a taste of the 1930s…

4 Likes