Magical History Tour

Ostensibly about a statue, this article – in a normally right-leaning newspaper – does a good job of showing multiple viewpoints on both historic women, Mother Jones and Mayor Jane Byrne.

4 Likes

The Mises Institute.

7 Likes

Yeah I’m sure they think FDR was a fascist and Jim Crow was freedom :roll_eyes:

I looked for the same document somewhere else but it was not formatted in a readable way

5 Likes
10 Likes

Let’s not forget what Mises himself thought of Mussolini: that he had saved civilisation. Like most right wingers of both an Austrian and German bent he was prepared to ally with fascism to crush labour. That is what defines them, not liberalism unless that liberalism is defined in his own terms “ The program of liberalism, therefore, if condensed into a single word, would have to read: property , that is, private ownership in the means of production. …” (from his Liberalism and quoted here Mises on Fascism, Democracy, and Other Questions | Mises Institute along with his forthright and voluble praise for fascism).

7 Likes

> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/morgan-freeman-on-rescuing-a-black-wwii-tank-battalion-from-obscurity/ar-AA1fdBOu

Morgan Freeman on rescuing a Black WWII tank battalion from obscurity

Morgan Freeman’s work is already in the Library of Congress, as part of the National Film Registry of movie classics. And now, he’s here in person, visiting one of the great public spaces in America – the Library’s main reading room.

“Nothing says history like this room,” said Martin.

They are here because the Library of Congress was the only place we could find a copy of this book: “Come Out Fighting: The Epic Tale of the 761st Tank Battalion 1942-1945.” It tells the story of the first Black tank battalion to fight in World War II, a time when the armed forces were still segregated and Blacks were limited almost entirely to support duties behind the front lines.

Doesn’t onebox, but the link works.

6 Likes

Here’s the gold standard of right-libertarian to nazi:

Where it started:

Now:

7 Likes
13 Likes

Amazing stuff! This is a really cool discovery.

11 Likes

Fascinating! Potentially huge for pharmaceuticals. But of course the bit that resonated the most with me was…According to Pliny’s records […] it caused goats to sneeze.

6 Likes

He sure looks like one of the Frey children to me.

7 Likes

[ETA] Me: who needs a 2 hour video on hegel…

Also me:

Spongebob Squarepants Popcorn GIF

4 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

By coincidence, I’m about a third of the way through this book, but I had to return it to the library. It’s on hold, and I will certainly finish it.

Highly recommended.

The author explains in great detail how complicated and entangled the relations between the Ottoman Empire and the countries of western Europe were, from medieval times until the early 20th century.

tl;dr: Most of what we have been taught on the subject is so oversimplified and one-sided as to be worse than useless.

4 Likes

The sort of popular history of the Ottomans jumps right from the empire menacing to take over all Europe, to being a dying husk ready to be carved up. That clearly leaves out a lot at best. Thank you for the suggestion to help fix that! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check it out!

I studied with an Ottoman historian back when I was getting a masters, so I’ll read this with great interest!

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

The Ottoman Empire was highly dynamic and pretty central to European history well into the 20th century!

[ETA]

monty python GIF

10 Likes
5 Likes

Here’s the whole process from making the clogs to dancing in them, told at 1959 British documentary speed.

And a faster-paced example.

6 Likes
7 Likes