Magical History Tour

5 Likes

The Nuclear Scientist And The Warplane That Became Britain’s Most Unlikely Airliner

8 Likes

Another interesting history lesson from Michael Harriot:

6 Likes

More details on the injustice carried out by the US Army after the 1917 “Houston Riot,” as well as efforts to make amends to the families of Black soldiers who were executed or imprisoned:

6 Likes

“It was better back in the day, when comedians could say whatever they wanted and not get canceled…” /s

5 Likes

Ooooh… math. :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

As inequality takes root and conflict among elites ramps up, it usually ends up hampering society’s ability to right the ship.

Unfortunately, by far the most common outcome has been major devastation and destruction. Our current research catalogues almost 200 cases of past societies experiencing a period of high risk, what we call a “crisis situation”. Over half of these situations turn into civil war or major uprising, about 35% involve the assassination of a ruler, and almost 40% involve the society losing control over territory or completely collapsing.

8 Likes

This is interesting. What seems to be missing from this is the manipulation of the have-nots by the haves, though. We’re seeing so many manufactured crises used to distract from the real ones. I’d include that in the cause for January 6, as well as how easier access to information has enabled misinformation to be used to sway public opinion/perceptions of reality. :thinking: One might think much shorter timelines for organizing uprisings (then vs. now) would give the advantage to the masses, but looking at how long movements for equality have lasted (along with progress vs. backlash) we’re still at a disadvantage. Private sector funding and control of government / major institutions is more difficult to remove/replace - that’s why the rich fight so hard to keep that in place.

7 Likes

Maths… in a history class!

Jon Batiste Reaction GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

JK!

Hegemony you say! Tell me more! I’ll write something up in my notebooks while in prison!

7 Likes

A point was made in an article posted by @chgoliz about instability and its cost to monied interests. I think the article missed a key point: instability is a measurable cost and if you have the option to inflict instability, you inflict cost. That infliction is far more a privilege of monied interests and can be really hard to pin down.

Example: gas station prices fluctuate in my area by 7% a day, easily. The fluctuation alone is going to earn the oil companies a profit.

We have a good gut feel for this kind of cost, but it rarely comes into classical “NPV” economics.

Example: tell your kids that the 10:30pm WiFi cutoff time will now be a uniform random time between 10:00pm and 11:00pm. Try to tell them that, on average, it’s the same. Watch them not believe you for reasons they can’t quite articulate (and certainly not articulate politely). :grin:

My impression is that it’s rare for anyone to account for it when looking at how exposure to uncertainty costs triggers historical unrest. I would imagine that to be a hard variable to put in Hoyer et al.'s databases, but I have to wonder how these Seldon-esque psychohistory efforts might improve their forecasting of unrest, and improve the case for social change, if the cost were included in the measure of inequality.

6 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

“I am a woman’s rights,” she said at the beginning of her speech.

8 Likes

6 Likes
10 Likes

30-year anniversary

5 Likes

There was a relatively recent movie!

[ETA]

5 Likes
8 Likes
2 Likes