Magical History Tour

7 Likes

Straightforward, no fuss, a reasonable amount of paperwork - boom, done.
Somebody please explain to me why the everloving fuck this isn’t possible today?

6 Likes

Happy birthday to both Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin. Both born on the same day & year.

6 Likes
8 Likes

In a similar vein:

And from WW2. Many news articles are sparse on details but a museum I went to in Townsville talked about the event at length. Quite telling is that after WW2 the unit’s colours were cased and the unit was never reestablished.

7 Likes

Interesting! What strikes me is that the Townsville one comes before integration of the armed forces in 1948… And in the midst of the double V campaign.

The one I linked to and the Kitty Hawk one were both in the 70s in the midst of Black Power, and during Vietnam, which ended up hitting Black working class soldiers the hardest in the other branches, while the Navy was seen as a safer alternative to service…

6 Likes

Was there not a similar incident in England during the war involving black soldiers, white American officers, British officers/soldiers and some pub patrons. I’ve tried looking it up but I’m failing to remember enough details.

4 Likes

Sounds familiar? Maybe this is what you’re thinking about?

Not sure if it was the only example, but that’s one example…

8 Likes

That’s probably the incident I’m thinking of, thank you.

4 Likes

:hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

You could always give one of these for Valentine’s. :grin:

Shameless plug for some artist friends of mine.

6 Likes

[eta]

And also…

7 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

8 Likes

Six quick history lessons from Robert Reich about inequality, fascism, political polarization, and corporate influence:

Also, there’s a series called Gospel that highlights this part of Black history:

6 Likes

I once read something that moved me. I don’t remember the exact words, but it was something like how we can say that a society is advanced by the way it treats its weakest and most vulnerable members. I like to think that, despite our hardships, we human beings are capable of being humans.

8 Likes
4 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes