Make: a non-patent-infringing enclosure for your 3D printer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/03/a-box.html

2 Likes

The whole 3D printing as we know it today was delayed probably 10-15 years waiting for the Stratasys patents to expire. Thank god they were Patents and not under Copyright or we would be waiting for another 100 years.

6 Likes

I had no idea that building an enclosure was patentable. This defies reason. If I put wheels on an enclosure for a 3D printer can I patent it?

2 Likes

What patent numbers? It’s pretty useless for you to provide some sort of summary when the only thing that matters is the patent claims.

1 Like

The patent is a bit more specific than that (if I found the right one). The claims concern 3d printer with moving parts of x-y gantry outside of the heated chamber. It’s still way too broad, but such patents get issued all the time. I’m listed as one of the inventors on a few really stupid 3d printer patents, but I won’t post them here - I don’t want to dox myself.

I think it is this one:

Now you can’t - you just revealed you invention, thus creating prior art :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have an enclosure based on two Ikea Lack tables at home. There are tons of tutorials for different versions of that setup online.

Also useful for stealthy infiltration.

1 Like

Err, what? To improve most cheap 3D printers, the first thing you do is add fans pointing directly at the nozzle!

Enclosures are all about keeping in the heat for ABS printing, or dealing with fumes - not stopping a breeze. If a breeze ruins your print, you really need to recalibrate everything

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.