Maker Mayhem: Low Moments in How-To History, Part 5

No, but a good deal of its readers are.

1 Like

West Anchorage High, prior to the earthquake, had a basement range off of the gym. Junior NRA and ROTC used it. East High MAY have had one, too. Ft. Richardson people went there.
Prior to Elmendorf AFB, Dad set up a range in the (full-length) basement in Maryland. Learned to shoot safely when I was 6 or 7.

2 Likes

No. No youā€™re not.

This is true. A good rule of thumb is that the firing pin of cocked gun should not drop even if the gun is dropped over 2ā€™ butt-first into a wooden floor as a test. This is especially relevant to people who may be trying to lighten the trigger on a military surplus gun.

1 Like

You mean like registration and licensing, like all other Western nations do, if they allow guns at all?

My brother had commercial version of this. Heā€™d use it to shoot his .22 in the basement.

Which would be entirely fine, but our bedrooms were down there, and sometimes heā€™d feel a need to invite his fellow ADHD friends downstairs for late-night shooting sessions. We had curtains instead of doors; even if the shots werenā€™t very loud it was still way annoying. (And theyā€™d often leave the lights on.)

Iā€™m glad weā€™ve been having a regular spate of actually gun-related topics. They act as a safe place for the conversation about gun rights, which can get intense, to occur on-topic, kinda like a basement retrofitted for target practice. This keeps the topic from straying off target, into neighboring topics, where it is only tangentially related. Iā€™d say letā€™s pace it a bit, though, and try to space them out by a couple weeks or so, so we have a steady safe place for these conversations to occurā€¦

2 Likes

I like how you skip what I said and keep focusing on guns as if that was the real issue. It even says right there is the small part you quoted ā€œforget all the panic around gunsā€.

My point is, how about addressing the societal problems that lead to violence? How about better treatment for mental illness? How about we face the fact that if a person is disturbed enough to go around killing people and a gun isnā€™t available they will use a knife, or a axe, or a rock, or whatever they can find to use as a weapon?

But sure, letā€™s license all of the legal firearms owners. Iā€™m sure the criminals will be lining up to register their firearms too right? Or how about we just ban firearms altogether and make them illegal? I mean thatā€™s how we got rid of Heroin and Cocaine, we certainly have no problems in our society with those. Passing more laws on legal gun owners is not going to solve the problems with criminals nor will it solve the underling societal issues around violent behavior.

So maybe we should stop listening to the media hype and the politicians talking about ā€œwe must do somethingā€, stop talking about the symptoms, and actually focus our efforts to treating the disease?

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to be the one to have to break this to you, but we already have registration and licensing.

I know a guy who has a range in his basement where you can fire .50 weapons if you want. He is one of those American Jewish guys who went to Germany in World War II, and he has a bit of an attitude from what he saw and experienced there. He says Israel is not the place to be, the place for a Jew to be is Americaā€¦ and heavily armed. Heā€™s never hurt anyone since he left the army, as far as I know, but he raised a big family and they are all - men and women alike - expert shots. I think people like him are the backbone of America, but then again Iā€™m sympathetic to lots of folks youā€™d probably think abominable - like the Deacons for Defense and Justice, for example. And John Brown, and Nat Turner, and Black Jack Kehoe (finally pardoned in 1979) and the Green Mountain Boysā€¦

4 Likes

Oh, so you have to pass a class before the government gives you your handgun license that allows you to go purchase your firearm that has to be 100% registered (location, owner) at all times with the government? Cool.

How about we address the easy problems first, like 100% gun licensing and registration and a zero tolerance policy on all gun crime? ā€œUse a gun, go to prison for life.ā€

I love how gun advocates want to solve every problem EXCEPT the one that involves guns as a prerequisite to dealing with gun violence.

2 Likes

Well, this is how I used to practice with my air rifle.

Time to bring back the parlor pistol.

5 Likes

I always wondered why so many left leaning people are completely against responsible gun ownership. Left leaning people (like myself) are often disturbed by government overreach (a la NSA), zero tolerance policies, militarization of police. When I was younger ā€œliberalā€ meant you were for personal freedom. I understand the argument that owning a gun will not protect you from a swat team raiding your home, but I canā€™t shake the feeling that gun ownership is one of the few things that actually provides a check and balance to the forces of fascism.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not against ownership. Iā€™m just for regulation.

1 Like

Considering ~12% of criminals get their guns via a legitimate avenue (ie a store, FFL dealer), where a license or registration scheme may help, I donā€™t see the huge added expense and the effect it would have on millions of other legit owners prudent. Coupled with the fact how often registration has lead to confiscation and I donā€™t see that idea having much support.

Exactly what would you like to see regulated and why?

My first thoughts on seeing the picture were:

1. A rifle, kneeling stance, at about 15 feet range? The outer ring of the target had better be under 3 inches across, and the 10 ring smaller than a pencil eraser. Thatā€™s about what you get for air pistol, which is done standing, with a one hand hold, at about that range.

2. The biggest risk to this guy are (1) damage to his hearing, and (2) lead poisoning, from the lack of ventilation. If youā€™ve ever shot on an actual indoor range, youā€™d know that they have very serious air handling systems designed to pull air downrange.

I wonā€™t address the gun-phobics here.

pt

3 Likes

Myth. Maybe some asshats suggested it, but no, you donā€™t have to register to buy a blade of any size.

7 Likes

Decent points. Iā€™ve actually got an airgun that spits out alloy .177 pellets a good couple hundred feet per second faster than subsonic .22lr rounds, and most .22bb and .22cb rounds.

But, even as an avid shooter, the idea of just setting up a target (even a relatively safe one) in a rec or living room seems like a bit of a bad idea. Donā€™t know what the ventilation was like in the pictured '50s house, but certainly donā€™t want lead vapors circulating around the interior of my houseā€¦

Actually laws vary by state, but in several, yes, this is exactly what happens.

Had to take a test, had a DOJ background check, waiting period, gun registered to an individual legally residing at X location.

1 Like