Making a better butter knife

Cold butter and very cold water are really important if you want a good homemade pie crust. It’s the tiny blobs of butter that make the crust flaky. :slight_smile:

Flaky musical interlude

4 Likes

The goddamn hammerlock my hot water pipes has developed disagrees with you.
/goes off to drain the tanks A-FUCKING-GAIN

4 Likes

Awww sorry to hear it, that is a no fun job. :frowning:

Correction: If you have working hot water…the key is to run the knife under the hot water BEFORE using it on the butter, the expression “like a hot knife through butter” isn’t for nothing. :slight_smile: If you don’t have working hot water you have bigger problems that won’t be fixed by a fancy $16 knife with holes in it! maybe heat your knife up over a stove burner/element?

1 Like

I find that using a cheese slicer (or plane) is an easy way to get around the hard butter issue.

6 Likes

Came to scorn the better butter knife as a single-purpose kitchen gadget. Left with an appreciation of the cheese shaver as more than a one-trick pony. I’ll inform my soulmate that we can afford some kitchen drawer-space for one, now. Maybe a Labour Day gift…

2 Likes

I assume everyone complaining about a single-purpose butter knife must be one of those rustic folk I have heard about who use their table knife for butter. :wink:

That would be double dipping. You could set out an extra table knife for the butter, though. No need to conflate austerity with slovenliness.

Here’s two baking tips that for some reason, I never see and I haven’t the slightest clue why because I cannot be the only one who figured this out:

To warm up eggs to room temperature for baking (this will BLOW YOUR MIND):

Put them in a bowl and put in some hot tap water. The eggs will amazingly warm up but not cook. It’s incredible. If your eggs still feel chilled, dump out the now cold water and add some more hot.

To get butter to room temperature for baking:
Do the same thing but with butter. Keep it in the wrapper when you do it.

You are welcome.

I have always just scraped the knife edge along the top of the butter to obtain a very thin curl of butter that melts posthaste…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.