Making a computer voice that "people like"

[Read the post]

3 Likes

“Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.”

11 Likes
3 Likes

The Speak & Spell voice is perfectly likable. We could have just quit right there.

11 Likes
7 Likes

The voice D could fit pretty well with the concept of moe anthropomorphism.

My smart house, or my lab electronics controller, could do way worse than with an anime-girl kind of personification.

1 Like

A masculine [voice] was chosen to sound “objective and natural” and “like a trusted colleague.”

Seems legit. The feminine voice was full of wiles and irrational demands.

17 Likes

Rawr Rawr!

1 Like
5 Likes

Why stick only with human voice? Include all communicative sounds that evoke emotion. Go around the valley.

Because selling stuff.

5 Likes

Meow? Meow!!!

8 Likes

:smiley_cat:

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/b/5/b5d5958b90b7ecbbd11c54d1fb3dca3b21fc5f01.gif

15 Likes

It’s not how Siri talks that bothers me so much as what Siri says.

Disappointing. Very disappointing.

25 Likes

This is maybe only tangentially relevant, but I think the “voice” of the robots in Interstellar was great. Not so much the vocal tone–it sounded like a human because it was a human–but something about the inflection was perfect.

Let’s just have computers text actor Bill Irwin when they need to say something out loud.

[accidental reply, not meant to be directly about the Siri post above]

5 Likes

That last question probably requires an Android phone. I’m told they dream of electric sheep.

17 Likes

I think they could have pulled off a childlike voice with the right mascot:

3 Likes

Tesco recently changed the sound of their self service check outs to a male voice because, apparently, the female voice was as annoying as fuck. How strange we humans are.

2 Likes
9 Likes

They didn’t ask me; I much preferred the female voice.

2 Likes

I liked the male voice until it wished me a “Happy Christmas”.

3 Likes