Malware on Boing boing main site?

I get an Adobe Flash Player install overlay, address still shows boingboing.net. No way to dismiss it except to instal.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Happens on regular Chrome, Chrome Canary, Firefox, Opera and Edge.

Edit: disallowing qbittorrent in windows firewall fixed this for me

1 Like

Sorry to say this re-enforces my policy of not whitelisting any 3d party scripting on the BoingBoing site. There have been way, way too many breeches breaches of trust for there to be any legit reason for me to trust BB’s 3d party ad networks. And as much as I like the authors, owners and admins on a personal basis, from a policy basis I think they should shut down the ad network scripting entirely until the issue is solved rather than leave it up letting users fend for themselves during a known attack of malware.

It also re-enforces, to a degree, the value of BoingBoing’s advertorial and affiliate linking. I can still see and click on BBS ads and Amazon Affiliate links with 3d party scripting turned off. (Though I have to turn on some scripting to actually use BBS if I do click, and I have to trust the blind, shortened affiliate URLs to amzn dot to…)

4 Likes

Sounds like a set of pretty fancy pants.

4 Likes

You got something against fancy pants? :thinking:

1 Like

Nah, I just thought it would be funny to be pedantic about spelling.

1 Like

Ah, I’m terrible at homophones. Aural speller. But now I want a complete set to go with my breeches of trust. Seem like they would be good on a quest. Bag of holding, breeches of trust. Maybe I need Jodhpurs of rectitude? Not sure… Edit: Jodhpurs of Judgementalism?

13 Likes

In all seriousness, every non-ascii and non-BBS URL on BB today is unusable for me on mobile and computer. I suspect the same for everyone else.

I would say this is a site down scenario. Sev 1 emergency, if it was my business.

5 Likes

I get the FlashPlayer Install Overlay on the homepage, consistently. I am running Chrome with Privacy Badger (per Cory’s recommendation!), which usually shields me from the funny business with BB’s ads.

4 Likes

Disabling cookies for the site seems to stop the flash-install overlay, for me anyway.

Got the Flash overlay as well; no way to circumvent it. Pretty sure Firefox updated yesterday or the day before.
o

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate it!

2 Likes

Eep!

5 Likes

On the bright side, the main page seems fine now. At least for me (Central US)

2 Likes

Same here on mobile.

Hadn’t really realized that I was relying on BB for my daily dose of healthy backends :thinking:

12 Likes

Weird. And as the one guy who is having possibly the most issues with Discourse, I’m also the one guy not having this same problem?

ETA: Oop, spoke too soon. No healthy backends. :astonished:

3 Likes

Getting this on several links-paging all codemonkeys:

Error 503 No healthy backends

No healthy backends

Guru Mediation:

Details: cache-lax8649-LAX 1578786493 392461519

Varnish cache server

3 Likes

Seems to be on main page-Note to codemonkeys: if you don’t want reader’s popup shields up, don’t code content-blocking floating “feature” windows (my term for these annoying widgets).

Okay BoingBoing, what’s this about?

4 Likes