Man arrested for counterfeiting 25 popsicle sticks to claim prize

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/12/man-arrested-for-counterfeiting-25-popsicle-sticks-to-claim.html

2 Likes

Trivially, if he has access to a laser cutter.

I wonder if he took any effort to make them look like they were coming from different people?

Oooh, maybe he had a Laser Pecker!

4 Likes

@frauenfelder Is the article title missing an ending?

3 Likes

Note that the photo included with the article is of a genuine winning stick. And those marks were obviously made with a heated stamp. Notice the smooth curves and complete lack of scan lines, in addition to the transition from light to dark in the markings due to uneven heating or slight misalignment of the stamp.

No telling how the counterfeiter made marks, since no photo of one of the fakes is available afaik. But trying to replicate the genuine stamp with a laser cutter would almost certainly be a very obvious fake.

4 Likes

greed

1 Like

Not in original post (he word ‘prize’ is there) but on BBS the word ‘prize’ is missing.
(This may be a variety of weirdness of vague interest to @orenwolf)

“Prize” is in the title now.

Currently Discourse cannot receive edit updates from Articles.

1 Like

Yes - as per above, I suspect orenwolf had to do it manually, as Mark probably edited the title to add ‘prize’ after it was posted, and Discourse cannot see those.

(If it were me, which it is not, and if the users were not my bosses :wink: I’d restrict title-editing privileges until Discourse can manage it automatically. Make the users request permission to edit titles and then only grant it if they also edit the equivalent BBS title. Trouble is, this is not a ‘users’ and centralised control environment.) :wink:

Maybe next time skip the popsicle sticks and just counterfeit the Pokémon card?

3 Likes

What’s wrong with buying your weight in garigarikun popsicles and hoping for the best? Pineapple is one of the good flavors. If they tied the prize in with their spaghetti popsicles I’d be more in favor of forgery.

I would also like to see these fake winning popsicle sticks. Custom brands are not hard to come buy, but I suspect they went with something with less of a wait time.

2 Likes

I remember seeing a documentary about the dangers of doing that.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.