Finger on the App creator tells 4 remaining players that they are all winners of $20k

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/03/finger-on-the-app-creator-tell.html

8 Likes

I can’t believe no one though of this earlier. What a cool idea and what a cool way to reward dedication.

7 Likes

Next we’ll find out that the tweet wasn’t by the creator and everyone who ended the game lost? (Yes, I’m feeling cynical, especially with the lead-up to this, with all the trolling and possibility that no one would actually win anything.)

9 Likes

We’ll find out that he’s European and $20,000 is $20 to him.

8 Likes

What?!?!

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out how making this app and running the contest is worth $80k to someone. Haven’t seen the app so I don’t know what kind of data it collects. Any ideas?

[EDIT]: well I googled it, and first it’s even worse, he had already given out $30k in prizes for people to settle for lesser prizes of $10k and $5k. Second, the motivation is “explained” because he’s a youtube personality who has previously done stunts like giving away all the cars in a dealership to get views and subscribes and that sweet youtube income. What a world we live in.

10 Likes

I’m glad to see my skepticism about how this would end proven completely wrong.

12 Likes

Uhg. Promotional endurance contests suck. Not a fan of the form, weather it is eating the most, or not sleeping, or holding your hand on a car, or, in this case, a finger on an app. Not healthy.

7 Likes

Prices can be crazy over there. In touristy areas of Switzerland a cheeseburger will set you back $15,000, and an extra $5k for adding fries.

9 Likes

I thought the game itself is really a dick move, but he’s kept himself out of the Shkreli zone by doing this.

4 Likes

oh great, here come the dancing marathons of the Depression with a new technological twist :frowning:

6 Likes

Many Europeans use the comma like US people use the decimal point. So the joke is $20,000 is $20.000.

5 Likes

There’s a culture club song about that phenomenon: comma chameleon

7 Likes

<<They shoot horses, don’t they?>>

2 Likes

Been done in other forms in the past. These contestants lasted about as long so fair play to them. Not for me though.

2 Likes

I said it before and I’ll say it again: what a fucking wasteful app. Waste of time, waste of power, waste of development resources, waste of the environmental resources, waste of humanity. All for something that is only meant to be used once.

2 Likes

Pole sitting, pet rocks, tamagotchi, planking. People are weird. I enjoy weird, totally worth it.

3 Likes

None of which has anything to do with the criticisms I mentioned above.

1 Like

I am Swiss and I might on occasion pay $40 or so for a cheeseburger, but 15’000 would be over the top even here.

2 Likes

Or 17,77 EUR / 18,90 CHF.

(Interbank rate per 2020-07-02.)

2 Likes