24 hours later, "Finger on the App" game down to 81 people

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/01/24-hours-later-finger-on-th.html

4 Likes

From the website faq:

Here’s where things get interesting! The prize for the winner of the game can be up to $25,000. However, everyone who loses gets to vote what they think the prize should be - and they could vote as little as $0! The final prize is the average of everyone’s votes. If you win, you are completely at the mercy of all the players you beat along the way.

Sounds kind of fishy if you ask me!

28 Likes

Never trust the phrase “up to”. It renders meaningless any sentence that includes it.

27 Likes

Is this another putin scheme to fuck with the US?

5 Likes

If we put this on Trump’s phone will he stop tweeting?

23 Likes

“Click to Subscribe!” – Thanks, but no.

2 Likes

Yes. Complete with a wink-wink suggestion that if you lose, you should tank the prize amount.

11 Likes

“Up to” and the people who have already lost get to set the prize? Is the voting out in the open?

I don’t see this ending well for the last person playing. If no other reason than the prevalence of the attitude, “If I can’t have something, no way in hell do I want that person to have it!” Just look at how vocal people who had to work their way through college get about the idea of student loan debt forgiveness, or free tuition.

Yeah. Whoever thought this app/game up is either a psych student or a sociopath. Or both.

ARRRGH! I went to the FAQ! It burns my eyes!

15 Likes

The vaguest of improvements over the infamous “Hold your wee for a Wii” contest, but not by much.

So much stupid, so little hope.

5 Likes

ds9-sisko-what

10 Likes

I wonder if the contest runners can check the finger motion from one spot to the next?

“We were suspicious when the winner’s finger moved instantly at a constant rate to the new position, first along the x-axis, then the y-axis.”

4 Likes

I hope it is a psych student and they release a good study on how people behaved.
But, my money is on a scammer who is going to pay up to 25k to amass a database of 1 million users.

9 Likes

At least one guy tried, but failed:

13 Likes

he’s already got his finger up his ass, sorry

3 Likes

Everything old is new again.

4 Likes

A video game more boring than Penn & Teller’s “Desert Bus”…

Time-to-99

7 Likes

Looks like a lot of people live-streaming their Finger on the App competition are losing when someone makes them say “Hey Siri” which brings up Siri and kicks them out of the app.

Of course if you are live-streaming having your finger on an app, you deserve to get trolled into saying Hey Siri and losing.

5 Likes

The vast majority of players will be in the shorter play length. I wouldn’t be at all surprised that long duration players suggest the max reward, because they may have gained some solidarity trying to make it work. (Look at the guys who camped out on the billboard for over a year)

What’s the real incentive in screwing someone out of the money? You’re not losing anything, but you were in love with the idea of winning it, so that’s probably not enough to just get sour grapes out of it. What if you weighted the votes by the total time played?

3 Likes

Yes, as soon as I saw the headline (and assumed there was a cash prize) that is exactly what I thought.

3 Likes

driving trollies.

If I had heard about this earlier I would have probably played for a few seconds then voted that the winner gets all the money. I don’t get pleasure from other peoples misery.

7 Likes