Man blows his top because toll booth won't accept his quarter

And when I get home, I bet those damn kids will be on my lawn again! Great Scott!

My rap-sheet rivet’s strictly hypothetical,
formulate in advance would not be practical,
lexical praxis reflects in the spectacle.

We have a one dollar coin:

We also have 2 dollar bills still. They don’t continually print them because of low demand, but any bank can order you a strap if you want, otherwise they’ll probably only have a small amount.

2 Likes

Spending them can be a problem at times.

Plus, they tend to get damaged:

1 Like

I’d love to get detained for using legal currency. I’d find some Saul Goodman style attorney and sue everyone involved! :smiley:

Never challenge another mans avocation, godspeed.

1 Like

The problem with one dollar coins is that we’ve used up all the easily identifiable sizes and textures for coins. The Eisenhower dollars were freaking huge and not really practical, and the Susan B Anthony dollars felt exactly like quarters and looked like them too. The Sacagawea dollars still feel like quarters, but not quite as much as the Anthony dollars, plus they look very different. I’m not sure if Sacagawea dollars trick coin machines the way Anthony dollars did, but vending machines accept them and give them as change, so I’m guessing no.

1 Like

I have a ez pass transponder but when I rented a car for my last road trip, I forgot to grab it, so I was forced to go the old fashioned way and pay cash. Much to my surprise, every tollbooth between DC and NYC actually charges you more for paying with cash. What kind of a cockamamie scheme is that?

1 Like

You can’t even do that if you cross the Golden Gate Bridge into the city; no cash or manual booths.

I was so galled at the extra fee for cash, that since I wasn’t on a tight schedule coming back, I tried to navigate avoiding toll booths, and the trip back took me about twice as long as it would have had I gone the normal way. But I miscalculated, and ended up hitting one toll bridge that wouldn’t accept money. The signs say to just go through, and they’d mail me the bill for the toll. Since it was a rental, I ended up getting the ticket via the car rental place, who charged me another $20 handling fee on top of that.

(On the plus side, I went Philly and hit a sandwich place that I’d been wanting to visit.)

I wish I could turn around when I hit the Golden Gate and find a Philly cheesesteak shop. All Marin seems to have is measles.

As usual, this ain’t an unsolved problem.

Countries all over the world have been through these sorts of currency transitions. The most common banknotes I grew up with don’t exist any more; many of the coins today didn’t exist when I was young.

Yeah, there’s a little hassle involved during changes, but it really isn’t that big a deal.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.