Man charged with child endangerment after son skips church to play

I’ve actually seen it more from the older generations, who seem concerned that kids might be up to no good or that there’s a fear of something happening to the kid. Parents of my generation seem more inclined to “do what you want, I’m busy enough with mine.”

Don’t get me wrong, you will always see helicopter parents, but the free rangers are getting more populous. I would say that this, like many things, is cyclic. That my “latchkey kid” generation grew up and became parents who wouldn’t do such a thing and became helicopter parents for the most part, especially those who only had one kid. And then some of us who waited to have kids saw parents showing up to college and job interviews and decided that it’s gone too far.

The perception of crimes against children has gone up, but the number of crimes have gone down. A lot of this is fear driven and fed by clickbait and headlines where rational discussions are futile. Most people just follow their kids as a result, it’s just easier.

Reminds me of this case:

Which is one of the better articles I have read on Salon recently.

To me, 8 seems a little young to be walking down to the store by himself. On the other hand, the whole arresting thing seems like total overkill. Why not just return the kid to the parent with a stern warning/talking to?

4 Likes

Ding! Winner-winner-chicken dinner. It seems like many police forces miss the whole part about being part of the community.

2 Likes

Free Range Kids was by some distance the best of the parenting books I read.

Trouble is, even if you agree with it (and I do), how do you put it into place if you’re asking for serious legal trouble if you do?

Easier to take the coward’s way out and constantly hover over your kids. Easy in the short term, anyway.

As far as that Salon story goes, I used to wait in my parents’ car all the time when they went shopping (a little older than 4, admittedly).

I do wonder if the lack of community is the real issue - the concerned asshat who called the police should have spoken to the mother instead.

1 Like

We’ve found that you find a middle ground. Talk to the police first, see what the local laws say, and if you need to be near them, make it a block back, giving them space. Talking with the kids is pretty much our plan, and letting them be involved in the discussion instead of telling them how it will be.

Concur on the lack of community. Far too often people reach for the phone instead of reaching out a hand.

See, this is what I mean. You knee-jerk conflate Catholicism with all of Christianity, because it’s easier than the more complex truth. Yes, the Catholic Church has a reprehensible record of enabling pedophiles. The American Episcopal Church, by contrast, enacted proactive policies decades ago to ensure that children are kept safe and would-be molesters are prosecuted. This kid was on the way to Woodville Baptist Church; now, there are about as many flavors of Baptist as there are fish in the sea, but of all the nasty things I’ve heard said about various Baptists, no one’s ever accused them of being soft on child molesters.

Reaching for the phone instead of taking the risk of being accused of stalking a child, perhaps?

FYI that’s a property of the video set by the uploader - you can disable embedding in the video properties.

I think I may be able to shed a little light on this.

Blanchester, OH is home to 4,243 souls (2010 census) and at least two Baptist churches. The Freedom Worship Baptist Church website hosts a link to the KY creationist museum. The FWBC also installed the “World’s Largest Horseshoe Crab” in Blanchester as their nod to creationism.

That’s not the church he dared defy, but it should give you an idea of the tone of the town.

Here’s the site for the church he does attend - that uses a spoof of Star Wars to, “show kids the TRUE saga of God’s Word! Along the way, kids will train to become J-Di’s (Jesus Disciples) who will stand for God’s Truth and spread His light to the world!”
http://woodville-baptist.org

Here’s “Crabby”.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/13704

And the First Baptist
http://www.firstbaptistblanchester.org

BTW - In case anyone’s curious, here’s Ohio code for Endangering Children.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2919.22

2 Likes

Again, because they don’t know people in their community. People stopped meeting their neighbors.

1 Like

“It is not a violation of a duty of care, protection, or support under this division when the parent, guardian, custodian, or person having custody or control of a child treats the physical or mental illness or defect of the child by spiritual means through prayer alone, in accordance with the tenets of a recognized religious body.”

Wow.

Now, either I didn’t understand or I missed it, but I didn’d understand where a child playing alone is endagerment.

Yep. Ohio law is fun.

How did this happen? Simple: Various neutrotic and overly protective people who have allowed ‘harm to children’ to become an overly worried about thing in our society.
I’ll be honest, when I was young my parents left me at home numerous times alone for hours when I was 6-12. No one ‘called the cops on them’ because they realized that in the real world, I could take care of myself for that short period of time.
It seems that we have a group of people today who do “I don’t like it and therefore I am going to try to nail you for it!” today.

Yes, the lack of community is the real issue.

I was a free range kid, sure. I also grew up on a school campus where all of our neighbors were my dad’s co-workers. We knew everyone and they all knew us. The roads had almost no traffic. Yes, my brother and sister and I used to bike and run all over the place and spend a lot of time at neighbor’s houses. My parents also trusted all the parents and could call any of them. We were kind of raised by the whole community.

Later when we moved to the country, we also knew our neighbors. Not as well as at the school but by then we were a little older, and so it was no big deal for my brother and I to explore anywhere we wanted to - again we were not dealing with a lot of traffic; there were a lot of woods mostly.

The driver?

In this case it wasn’t clear if MikeKStar was employing satire. If he wasn’t, using the term “uppity” implies that he father was in the wrong and in a subservient position towards the cops.

I’ve been to that diner.

Though, it must be said, the Chief of the Lee, MA PD was recently apprehended by the FBI for embezzling holiday funds.

And that same cop in the painting would run any long-hairs out of town.

1 Like

Hell, I was walking around Times Square and Central Park at night in the mid-70s alone when I was 8. Most people, even sketchy criminal types, have zero interest in messing with children. There’s no money in it, and fellow criminals don’t take kindly to kiddie-fiddling. Plus I learned how to carry myself.

2 Likes

Not to mention that the VAST majority (I think the last time I looked it up, the stat was something around 85%) of kiddie fiddlers are known to the child in some way, and not random pedophiles off the street. “Stranger danger” is far less of a problem than “Creepy Uncle Bob” danger.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.