Man immediately regrets driving onto sandy beach

My point is mainly that the sweeping generalization that “AWD is not fit for driving on the beach” is weak. It also fails to take into consideration the vast importance of tires.

A Subaru Crosstrek (AWD) with AT tires is going to do loads better than a Ford F150 (4WD) with stock all-seasons, or maybe even with the same model of AT, due to the weight difference.

Just because your state’s ATV permit system is stuck in the 1970s doesn’t mean that it will keep people from getting stuck in the sand.

1 Like

Another video from the Twiddy guy in NC, this time with his mother discussing AWD. :slight_smile:

Typical driving down there in Corolla / Currituck:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure his first mistake was driving without a license or insurance. Only once he’d spent some time committing that mistake was he able to commit the second one of driving onto beach sand.

Wow, driving 4x4s on delicate sand dunes. I am not a fan.

The only reason this isn’t a thing where I live is that Alberta is landlocked - our yahoos have to make do with ecologically sensitive woodland environments and creek beds

4 Likes

Speaking of sweeping generalizations. Not really. The standard for doing this around here is pick-ups, sometimes just with decent all-weather tires, but more often standard all terrain tires. You see Tacos and F150’s (along with Wranglers and assorted smaller solid rear axel SUVs) often enough. But the gold standard here are commercial grade, 4wd pickups. Often diesel.

I’ve seen lots of Cross Treks with or without specialized tires buried up to their doors. Occasionally you see the smaller pickups stuck (more Fords than Toyotas). But I’ve never seen the big trucks stuck in normal sand conditions. And both dear old dad and my uncle did a lot of beach driving and towing with the stock tires. Dad’s f350 can handle most beaches without even airing down provided he isn’t towing.

One of those things wouldn’t exactly be the best thing for traditional off roading, depending on the type. The wheel base is crazy long, and the center of gravity is built for hauling. And its heavy as fuck. Especially when (as often with towing) there’s a big steel gooseneck hookup mounted in the bed.

But this isn’t offroading. Its not about crossing uneven terrain at speed, or climbing of obstacles. And its mostly not about doing it for enjoyment or its own sake. Its transit across soft, sinking sand and sand with enough water in it to be fluid. Mostly to get to a spot for hey cool beach reasons, or fishing, boating, or camping.

The kind of video you see if people hooning around the beach in an SUV requires a specific sort of beach with specific conditions. And you mostly aren’t going to drive through other beach conditions to get to it.

1 Like

A much larger part of that area is protected just FYI. Much of the Outer Banks is a National Seashore Park.

4 Likes

This guy wanted to get some pictures of his semi on the beach, and got stuck. But he didn’t get in any legal trouble.

Which brings up the question of whether vehicles of any type should be allowed on beaches, to which I vote “no” for several reasons (they’re messy, smelly things, and who wants to breathe in exhaust, or dodge them, when you’re on the beach; etc.). Fortunately they’re not allowed on very many beaches in my state.

Many, many years ago my brother drove my aunt’s (new) car onto the beach, got stuck, and it got caught in the tide and totaled. Those were the days.

2 Likes

In Oregon, the beaches used to be designated a state highway. In Washington State, the beach on the Long Beach peninsula is still designated a state highway (with a 25 MPH speed limit).

1 Like

It’s a Volvo V40 Cross Country. It’s a V40 with rugged plastic details and a higher ride height. But it’s still a FWD car.
I own a V40 myself (I’m in the UK). I know it’s not sold in the US. But it’s basically a re-skinned, re-engineered Ford Focus (it was developed before Geely bought Volvo from Ford). So imagine a 2014 Ford Focus and you know where you’re at.

3 Likes

Step 1 - More air, lots more.

Step 2 - Wait for the tide to come in.

Step 3 - Kick back with a cocktail as you float off to paradise.

5 Likes

Ah the Apple Newton team T-shirt!

4 Likes

Shhhhh, you’ll give away all my secrets!

1 Like

I only remember it because of how it describes the difficulty of beach wreck ignition.

1 Like

Wey nø, e’s a Geordie man.

1 Like

I’m glad someone picked up on that, but not too glad because it took me ten minutes of looking at pictures of Volvos to nail the exact model down, and that’s a pretty industrial quantity of boring to shift through.

(And FWD cars are surprisingly good at offroading, especially when you’re 17 and have no other choice)

1 Like

I once drove a standard FWD saloon (Nissan Primera) down a lovely steep winding country road that I thought would follow the coast but actually ended in three gates at 12, 3 and 9 o’clock positions, each leading into fields that immediately sloped downwards from the road.
No room to turn. A nightmare to back out.
I cautiously reversed into the gate on my right (the 3 o’clock position) intending to turn that way, but it was so narrow I had to go almost fully in and ended up in a mess of agricultural mud, churned to slush by cows’ feet. Couldn’t get traction to drive out.
The surface of the rest of the field was better though, so after a solid 20 mins of freaking out (and churning up the mud at the gate) I drove to the far side, turned around, and reversed at high speed towards the gate, miraculously spinning clean out and locking correctly to end up facing back up the road so I could drive straight up.
I do not recommend any of the above.

3 Likes

Best MST3K episode ever.

2 Likes

The Geordies know what a gentleman is.

4 Likes

Drink beer.
Eat crisps.
Smoke tabs.

1 Like

51T_OE_ZU9L

Having spent lots and lots of time driving in soft sand, including FWD, RWD, 4WD, AWD, commercial trucks, tractors, etc, I can tell you that your information is incorrect.

What is far more critical than the drive system is the tire type and air pressure. Classic dune buggies are rear wheel drive, as well as the vast majority of commercial equipment that has to operate in desert environments. I’ve never been stuck in sand conditions in an AWD that had the tires aired down appropriately. As to the requirement for a solid rear axle, its completely irrelevant. Many, many purpose built sand rails and dune buggies are 4 wheel independent suspension.

1 Like