Drivers in Lynnwood contend with snow

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/12/drivers-in-lynnwood-contend-wi.html

6 Likes

That’s actually where I live.

I drive a subaru. No traction problems for me. It’s warmed up and now we have about a foot of snot-grade slush, and when I was out today it was hilarious seeing all the front wheel drive cars just failing to get over the offrun humps at the mouths of driveways.

BTW that hill the news caster guy was on leads to one of the 2 onramps in Lynnwood to I5. And is way steeper than it looks.

It has a section that is nearly 45 degrees. Front wheel drive doesn’t stand a chance unless you go up backwards.

20 Likes

If they’re gong to be out driving like that, I’m glad they’re driving pokey front-wheel drive compacts.

5 Likes

I lived in Seattle back in the 90’s for a short time, and there was one minor snow storm while I was there. The real problem is that there are no plows in the Seattle area, or at least not enough to deal with a real snow storm.

6 Likes

Who does the groovin bit of music?

8 Likes

Lynnwood is north of Seattle.

12 Likes

All the plows are up in the passes.

On a normal year there’s one day of snow and it’s all melted by mid afternoon.

What we have now is severely abnormal.

10 Likes

15 miles north of seattle.

6 Likes

Also the bottom of that snow usually turns to a layer of ice. Add that in with hills that will make you go NOPE in good weather. Best to just stay home and use up the pantry.

12 Likes

Haha! I went to Seattle, first time ever last weekend. Just a quick weekend getaway. Joke’s on me, huh?! I sure picked a great weekend! But really, I made the best of it and still had a great time! And I will go back when the weather is better.

8 Likes

My New England born and raised heart simply responds “oh bless your hearts”.

13 Likes

Yeah, I was a bit confused because I drive around in a front-wheel drive sedan w/ “all-season” tires, but the snow on my unplowed driveway never acts like that (or gives any trouble at all). It wasn’t clear there was a substantial slope there until at least halfway through the clip.

6 Likes

@beschizza Lynnwood is NORTH of Seattle as @paulbeard said. Not sure why I didn’t catch that earlier.

10 Likes

I once had to bail some friends out of that pokey.

Oh, Lynnwood?

3 Likes

I have a GTI with front wheel drive and all-season tires, and let me say, it does a LOT better in the snow than my old BMW 135i with rear-wheel drive! That thing would (obviously) fishtail the second there would be flurries, it was frightening. I took it home in actual snow from a skiing trip once and it was absolutely one of the scariest events of my life.

3 Likes

Places that don’t normally get snow can’t deal with it. No big surprise really. Just how smug would you be in Buffalo if your town didn’t own any snowplows?

13 Likes

I grew up in DC, and every single year, three inches would paralyze the city, because it never snows in DC.

6 Likes

From experience I can with out a doubt tell you a Toyota Prius is worthless in the snow.

3 Likes

Not with the right tires.

OEM tires are low-rolling-resistance hockey pucks.

4 Likes

Thank you

I now give you the Lynnwood beauty Academy care of Almost Live

10 Likes