Drivers in Lynnwood contend with snow

Jokes on them. You can’t pick up KING TV with rabbit ears in Lynnwood. It’s in a depression.

4 Likes

Nancy Guppy still works up here

4 Likes

We picked up KING just fine in the Sixties in Lynnwood on rabbit ears.

1 Like

We had aerial TV in 2001 and had trouble picking up anything at my house in Edmonds. Quirks of geography.

2 Likes

My favorite part of this news piece is the zero blather. He just smiles while cars spin out behind him.

3 Likes

I liked the music.
Does anybody know what it is?

1 Like

I’m in big snow country, hilly to boot. The difference when I put snow tires on my hybrid each winter is amazing. But there’s snow on the ground here at least 4 or 5 months a year, sometimes more.

It’s south of the city that actually gets hammered, but regardless without plows it’d be pretty tough to get around after a storm. The real difference though it the sand&salt mix that the trucks throw down to stop ice from forming on roads.

I concur!
It’s just snowed (light/fluffy)
like a bat out a’ hell here,
but soon turning to rain and warming up .
Hoping it gets above freezing
or what a Shat Show!

Yeah I have AWD and I haven’t even tried to get out since Friday. All the previous snow is compacted under nearly a foot of new stuff. Which is currently getting rained on and probably turning to ice. And even if I’d be fine I’d rather not be worried about all the other people slipping and sliding around. I lived 30 years in Los Angeles; I’m not exactly practiced at driving in snow.

Plus, most of Bellevue and Kirkland have been shut down since Friday afternoon. School let out early Friday and has been closed since. Three doctor’s offices where we had appointments this week are closed. Mr. Bells’ office is closed and everyone who can is working from home (he’s waiting on a conference call right next to me at the moment.)

6 Likes

As a Masshole myself, I’d just like to say that New England is waaaay flatter.

23 Likes

I was supposed to have an in person job interview today and that while still a thing it is pending safe road conditions.

10 Likes

You ever come to Providence? There is not a single flat street there.

I do get your point…but overall state topography is not an excuse for them to not know how to drive properly in inclement weather.

Many moons ago, I was driving from home back to college after a weekend. There was a winter storm in the forecast, so I left a couple of hours early. The snow started coming just outside of Cleveland and quickly proceeded to ‘blizzard’; after an hour I kept passing people in the ditch. I kept telling myself drive carefully, just because they ended up in the median doesn’t mean you have to. A drive which normally took 4 hours took 7 hours of tip-of-the-buttocks-on-the edge-of-the-car-seat, but my FWD car made it. Probably a lot of those stranded drivers were also muttering about driving safely - until they skidded into a fenceline.

5 Likes

I’ve been to Providence, and I’m sorry, but it does not compare. We’re talking hills that you drive up and you’re looking directly at the sky. The slopes are appalling.

You ever see a chase scene set in San Francisco, where cars are catching air at the tops of the hills or getting stuck on the crests? That’s what Seattle is like. And currently, all those hills are coated in ice.

15 Likes

This. There are streets here that will make you pray for good brakes in the best of weather. Bob forbid you drive on them in this mess.

ETA The kids just over a mile walk to school has an elevation change of at least 200 feet and hills that are not fun to walk up or down. I wish I could find the tools to show elevations in Google maps to be sure.

12 Likes

Click the hamburger, and you can change the view from “Map” to “Terrain.” Seattle looks awfully crinkly. :slight_smile:

Or, if you want USGS topo maps with altitude marked (or, in some areas, aerial photos as well), Historic Aerials is your friend.

4 Likes

They mostly seemed to be trying to do the right thing and get to the curb or at least somewhere with better traction. The common thread looked like cheap tires.

1 Like

Yeah but I am being totally blind about where the elevation info is hidden.

2 Likes

I know several people with priuses (pri-i?) who have no trouble at all, the weight distribution and traction control on them is decent, maybe it’s just your tires.

1 Like