Man receives traffic ticket after CCTV mistakes woman in lettered t-shirt with his car's license plate

Originally published at: Man receives traffic ticket after CCTV mistakes woman in lettered t-shirt with his car's license plate | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Not this extreme yet, but we’re getting there.

27 Likes

Excellence is right around the corner!

17 Likes

The fact that this can even happen means you you always check and double check your ticket for mistakes. Any mistake should cancel the ticket.

10 Likes

Or you could just pay if you are guilty, even if there is some kind of technical error you could use to appeal.

2 Likes

Paula Knight, also 54, a mother of two

What’s the point of “a mother of two” in this story? It seems irrelevant to anything here.

14 Likes

Hark! the sound of privilege

3 Likes

“Bath and North East Somerset Council believes…” It might be amusing to visit the council offices and ask around as to which members of the council believe this.

4 Likes

Gotta watch out for the knitters!!

My goodness, I highly recommend this classic short story, about a pair of scientists that discover how to create an extremely robust organizational structure. They decide to test it out on a declining knitting group.

I read it in high school and it’s stuck with me to this day. Less than 10 minutes reading time. (We’re talking 50s-era golden-age over-the-top fiction here). Hope you enjoy!

Free Classic Short Stories and Novels | Socialpolitan: The Snowball Effect by Katherine MacLean

3 Likes

So in Bath, the owner of the vehicle must pay, regardless of who is driving?

3 Likes

I feel like the pedestrian is the one with a gripe here. She’s been mistaken for a VW van.

23 Likes

Time to start wearing a SQL table drop t-shirt?

17 Likes

Might be simpler just to give out a bunch of ‘null’ shirts?

12 Likes

xkcd: Exploits of a Mom ?

5 Likes

On the contrary, I think giving birth to an integer is quite remarkable!

13 Likes

Apropos the Boston Dynamic murderbots, we can probably look forward to similar hi-larious stories where some van full of kids gets blown away because the license plate matches the T-shirt of a “known terrorist on the loose.”

7 Likes

YOU MUST NOT IGNORE THIS NOTICE OR PASS IT TO THE DRIVER

I guess the idea is that you should instead tattle on the driver to big brother, and big brother will send them the notice.

But this big brother doesn’t seem very good at resolving ambiguity.

I wonder if it is like some parts of the USA where you have no legal obligation to tattle on the driver but the guvmint does everything short of waterboarding you to make you think you must.

1 Like

I can think of a few nice gentlefolk this should happen to, lots.

Find out who else uses similar artificial stupidity systems, and start knitting!

1 Like

actually, this knits it together nicely. you need two numbers for binary, so clearly they are saying she is the mother of computing and that’s how she managed to cast off this ticket onto someone else

6 Likes

It is important to note that this is the council that has made much of central Bath a no-go area to motorists, even including those disabled motorists with Blue Badges, many of whom are now unable to access many of the city centre’s facilities.

They did agree to host a public meeting to hear people’s feedback, especially from the disabled, but the venue was inside the forbidden zone so disabled people could not get there by car without getting fined.

The story was in the ‘Rotten Boroughs’ section of the latest Private Eye, which is newsprint only.

Stop needling us with your woolly theories.

11 Likes