Man stole $122m from Facebook and Google by sending them random bills, which the companies dutifully paid

Yeah, the bad guys aren’t quite as evil as real life.

As Rogers put it, they had to tone the villains down, because people wouldn’t believe the reality.

12 Likes

If you can scam Google and Facebook, even a dollar, you are my hero!

4 Likes

I’m thinking it would’ve been more clever to take those millions and find a country where extradition wouldn’t be a problem and/or create a new identity. :thinking:

4 Likes

The Leverage tabletop role playing game adaptation does include some suggestions on finding ways to take “ripped from the headlines” campaign ideas (always called “Jobs”, with a capital ‘J’) and make them work better in the ‘Leverage’ context.

3 Likes

Bet he wouldn’t have gotten over on the Old School “Corporate Psychopathic Business” Club: The Koch Bros., The Walton Family (who make over $25000/per hour in dividend payments alone while most employees make less than that yearly, often on EBT, TANF etc) or Rockefellers and Ford’s.
They are REAL Robber Barons!!!

2 Likes

While I don’t agree with what he did, I don’t feel he should be prosecuted. If the companies payed said invoices without verifying what they were for then that’s on them. You handed the gentleman money, don’t get upset because your accountant can’t do their job correctly. Just my $.02

2 Likes

Wishing for 122m hero’s :wink:

1 Like

If all he’d done was sent them invoices and had them paid, I’d be with you; but he didn’t. He set up sham accounts for a sham company that happened to share the name of a real company they both had dealings with. He forged signatures, emails, etc.

This was out and out conman stuff.

6 Likes

Setting it on a Saga Holidays cruise ship was probably a step too far.

4 Likes

Insurance companies selling shady car insurance send contracts which look like bills hoping the elderly will just pay them.

It is legal because it does say, “Not a bill” in less than giant lettering. Claiming it is an “example bill” you may end up paying out of pocket.

1 Like

Depends on the line items, I presume. He probably claimed various fictional (and legit sounding) services were rendered. Well, that is Fraud when your mechanic does it to you, and it is fraud here.

If the line items read, “ActuallyARegular being awesome on behalf of Google 2018” he probably would have been fine.

If that the case then yeah he messed up

yeah true I guess it would pretty morally lax , if I did something like that I would feel kinda of like I was stealing from king john. I myself have never robbed or stolen anything except once when I was 4 but I really honestly thought that if you found a bag lying on the floor of the super market you where allowed to fill it up boy was my mom embarrassed. I have however been victim of theft on many occasions usually Gypsies and though I was pretty pissed of about it at the time I realized that they are at the end of the day quite marginalized and mistreated and just trying to get by and feed their families in a messed up system . I spent quite some time performing on the streets of europe and funny enough anywhere where the gypsies had had a chance to watch me they appreciated what I did and actually stopped seeing me as a mark. and started tipping me especially in greece it was one of the more profound experiences in all my travels.

as kid I loved heist movies.

and loved the story of Albert Spaggiari.
“sans armes, ni haine, ni violence”

3 Likes

Facebook is so monsterous, with 1.9 billion regular users that it’s not like Mark Zuckerberg has to watch over a “big nation.” He has to “watch” over a fucking planet! LOL. There’s no way he can do anything but pretend to make it appear that he has control over what goes on on Facebook…except, of course, when something like Cambridge Analytica hits. The problem with fake invoices is that you’re going to get caught…it’s too bad. This Evaldas Rimasauskas could have had a great career in politics.

3 Likes

The greed always gets them. Why not quit at $10-20-30 million and fade into oblivion? FB may never have never missed that kind of what to them would be petty cash. wwhatt

1 Like

with that cast, it’s odd that everybody has forgotten about it :confused:

3 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing!

Hey, ostrich leather jackets don’t come cheap!

1 Like

A “not a bill” scammer made the mistake of targetting a lawyer’s office.

7 Likes