Man with colorblindness becomes overwhelmed when he tries on special glasses

Why did they give them to him in a monochrome cubicle farm instead of an art museum or botanical gardens or someplace?

EDIT: Or Venice Beach?

Hmm. I was prescribed with glasses early (6 or 8 years old canā€™t remember) and was told to wear them to see distance. Only for the black board or TV Mostly refused because I didnā€™t want to be picked on (I was anyway). So one day when I was 11. After a particularly perplexing volley ball game in gym class. I decided to dig a 2 years out of date pair of specs out of my back pack. I was floored by the fact that people have faces. Not broad black lines to denominate eyes in a vague color gradient from pink at the bottom to hair color at the top. I only got made fun of a few times. Because in the early offing I was liberal with the ā€œholy shit Iā€™ve known you my whole life and Iā€™ve never seen your faceā€ and after that I was clear about why I needed them and had fun with the everyone passes their specs around to see whoā€™s blindest schtick.

I had a 4th grade teacher tell youā€™re wifeā€™s same story. Holy shit she saw leaves for the first time. And I actually scoffed in class. I need glasses and donā€™t wear them! And I know what leaves are. And then I put on a broken wrong prescription pair of specs and god cock shit balls there are leaves more than 3 feet away. Too this day I wonā€™t do contacts and wouldnā€™t consider lasic unless I had to. I look better in them, feel better in them, and every time I put them on I can remember the first time a looked across a room and saw people I knew instead of pink blobs I identified by sound.

And my eye sight isnā€™t all that bad -1.75, -1.75 is my script. Donā€™t need any special lenses or bifocals or the thick shit or anything.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be wanting laser eye surgery as soon as I can afford it, but then again my eyes are more -7 or-8. I can barely see a thing without my glasses. It would be such joy to be able to see in the shower.

Yeah I donā€™t blame you on that. Honestly even a marginal improvement at that level would be incredible. And from what I understand its not unusual to find you might need a light prescription, at least for reading, after surgery for that level of correction. I just donā€™t really feel natural without the specs on. And Iā€™m lucky enough to be able to wear very fashionable un-intrusive frames and thin lenses. At this point its a bit of who I am, and Iā€™d feel a bit like an ass wearing prescription-less ā€œfashion framesā€. If I was in your place, and had it fixed. Iā€™d probably find myself doing that. Wearing empty frames. Its been so long at this point I feel a bit lost without something on my face. Never mind that my visual range is sub 2 feet at this point.

Colourblindness happens when the response of your colour receptors (cones) overlaps a bit too much. For red/green, there is a little bit at the highest frequencies where you see red only, and at the bottom there is a little bit where you detect green only, but for the most part you detect pretty much equal red and green, so you canā€™t separate them. These glasses work by filtering out the overlapped region. Itā€™s very clever, but it does block out a lot of light - so they will work better outside, where everything is much brighter. Details from Enchroma here

As for the 10 minutes to adjust - I guess it takes a while to comprehend seeing a whole new colour. It must be an amazing experience! Iā€™m very slightly RG colourblind - I can achieve a similar effect by changing the ambient lighting. Some colours kind of shimmer - they look grey, but I can tell that there is more to see there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.