Manchester cops trumpet seized "3D printed gun" -- turns out to be parts for a 3D printer

The part in question seems to be a filament spool holder for a Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM)-type 3D printer, probably a Makerbot Replicator 2. One of the first things a lot of people print out when they get their new printer. Extremely dangerous in the wrong hands, obviously.

1 Like

Finally, we can get this dangerous terrorist behind bars before she does more damage. http://www.businessinsider.com/meg-whitman-hp-will-have-a-3d-printer-in-2014-2013-10

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard it said that ignorance of the law is no excuse for violating it.

Conversely, is ignorance of the law an excuse for erroneously enforcing it?

2 Likes

ā€œThe coppers smashed my fatherā€™s printer when I was eight. I remember the hot, cling-film-in-a-microwave smell of itā€¦ā€ Prophetic.

4 Likes

Why are the people that insisted we give guns to teachers not insisting now that we give 3D printers to teacher to, you know, protect the children?

Thatā€™s not fair! They made themselves look stupid. They should take themselves out back for a good self-flagellation.

Heā€™s out on bail. The only thing heā€™s been charged with so far is illegal gunpowder manufacture- apparently, the ā€œreal gunsā€ the police seized were only air-guns.

If you want to understand them better it really helps to replace words like ā€œintelligenceā€ with ā€œbullshitā€. It makes their very ā€œintelligentā€ charges, work, thought processes, and statements easier to follow.

I flicked through that, waiting to get to the punchline. But by the end I realised it was serious. And that in itself was pretty funnyā€¦

1 Like

I put it to the Brave Officers involved that it is a damn sight easier (and cheaper) to obtain a gun than a fuckinā€™ 3D printer in Manchesterā€¦

1 Like

Well, we prosecuted a student for having ā€˜terrorist materialsā€™, who was doing a thesis on terrorism, with materials from the university library.

1 Like

Guns themselves are fiercely illegal in the UK. Though I doubt they can do him for the gunpowder charge even, once it gets to a stage where we have less idiot cops involved. Though I could be tragically, depressingly wrong.

Kind of. Handguns are illegal, but rifles and shotguns, while strictly controlled, are still legal to own if you have a license. There are 2 million legal privately-owned guns in the UK.

The guns the police found at this guyā€™s house were ā€œair weaponsā€, in other words BB guns, which are pretty much unregulated if youā€™re an adult.

Not sure if there was any truth to the gunpowder charge, or what he planned to do with it if there was. Might have just been for fun (making his own fireworks), but given the risks involved itā€™s reasonable for it to be illegal to make gunpowder at homeā€¦

1 Like

The shovel AK is a very nice project. I saw a video of some young guy that lives in a hut and he makes very professional looking 9 mm pistols, probably a knock off of a knock off like a Spanish Star 9mm. Using hand tools, he makes about one per week. He just makes that one model and has been perfecting his craft for about 10 years.

Yeah, I have owned airguns, etc and know a few gun-owners, farmer friends & so forth. I know the crack. Having read a little more, he sounds more like a Soldier of Fortune reader than the kind of guy could score for a handgun. I donā€™t predict good things for him, on further reflectionā€¦

Sorry, didnā€™t realise you were in the UK- probably should have from your other posts in this threadā€¦

There is a large community of fireworks experimenters who are of the opinion that manufacture of up to 100 grams of black powder is exempt from regulation in the UK.

Someone arrest that man with the ukelele!

Does that include this guy?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.