Margaret Atwood and "The Handmaid's Tale"

I’m even somewhat surprised by those identifying as Christian and their take on it: "Why Every Christian Needs to Watch “The Handmaid’s Tale’”: Why Every Christian Needs To Watch 'The Handmaid’s Tale'

In this article, the author describes her experience as a Christian watching the series. One of the more fascinating aspects of the article is her inclusion of a recent Twitter hastag with which I was not familiar (#ThingsOnlyChristianWomenHear). The tweets with that tag are a sobering reminder that yes, even here in the West, many,many women continue to hear that their primary raison d’etre is to be a wife and mother.

15 Likes

I haven’t started “The Handmaid’s tale”. I have to admit I’ve been apprehensive because I know it’s going to stir up a lot of feelings that I’ve put a lot of effort into muffling. People seem to be saying that it’s done well, reassure me?

5 Likes

Dude, its so good. So so good.

10 Likes

Two thoughts: 1. @TobinL is right: Reading such difficult subject matter is one thing. Watching it unfold before your eyes via a visual medium is another. 2. @Missy_Pants is also right. It is so effing good. Best television I may have ever seen.

8 Likes

The Handmaid’s Tale is a novel I’ve read at least three times. It’s always difficult to do, but necessary to remember what future is to be avoided at any cost. I’m apprehensive about a TV series because I fear the core message can easily be lost. Yet based on what my lady peeps are saying on this thread, I may wait until June and give in for a trial month to binge it.

This story is important. In a few years, I’m going to make my son read it because we need better men on this planet.

14 Likes

Yeah. Twice so far for me.

6 Likes

Sure feels like it’s time to pull it off the old dead tree holder again, doesn’t it?

6 Likes

8 Likes

Its so good. I honestly can’t express how good it is.
Its quiet. There is so much quietness and stillness and reflection. So much unsaid. Its so good.

The casting is amazing, the amount of non-verbal communication is stunning. If Elizabeth Moss doesn’t win an award for this it will be a crime. She’s so good, so so good.

8 Likes

I’m halfway through Oryx and Crake. No spoilers! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

She was great in this too:

4 Likes

Thats on my list!!

5 Likes

Just how many trees did Margaret Atwood kill?

And what’s that on the right? Did she kill the same tree twice?

1 Like

Love the MaddAdam trilogy! Few do dystopia as well as Atwood. Hunger Games et al can suck it.

6 Likes

Friends/family give them to me as birthday/holiday gifts and they inscribe them so I can’t bear to give them away. Same with double copies of graphic novels on the shelf below.

8 Likes

That’s my plan.

1 Like

Was wondering cuz it definitely wasn’t Boston

3 Likes

I don’t want to start another thread, yet I feel the need to throw this into the universe, so forgive me. I’m so excited about quality TV shows that explore female issues in unprecedented ways – we are, after all, 52% of the population.

It’s mother’s day, a holiday with which I have a very uneasy (at best) relationship. If you look up the history of mother’s day, even its original champion eventually decried its commercialization. I digress.

I used the excuse of this mother’s day to avoid my children and binge watch the FX show, “Feud: Bette and Joan.”

Child: I’m hungry.
Me; It’s mother’s day and I’m helping to deconstruct the patriarchy by watching a really good show.
Child: What?
Me: Go ask you dad about food. I"m not the only one who knows where the pantry/fridge is.

What strikes me most about both “The Handmaid’s Tale” and “Feud” is that invasive patriarchy is corrosive not only to women. Of course, they are the biggest losers, but it hurts all of us.

I want more of this kind of TV, please. It opens conversations and, hopefully, minds.

19 Likes

Excellent! I LOL’d. Change starts with the young.

Thank you for that.

6 Likes

Word. If only that were the kind of victimization that MRAs and their ilk go on about.

12 Likes