Margaret Atwood’s “The Handmaid’s Tale” is the best-selling book on Amazon

I have not, unfortunately. I did watch the trailer and it looks like it might be pretty decent. The cast looks good, at least…

3 Likes

I saw it in my early teens on cable before I’d read the book. So my opinion of it is likely to be more forgiving. At the time I was fascinated by the plot and not harshly evaluating it as a film. It did cover most of the major themes and plot points.

It would be hard to cover how much one sees into the head of the character in any film. She is supposed to be a slightly unreliable narrator.

4 Likes

I’ve seen it, and it was ‘just okay’ from what I remember. I do know that it seemed really watered down compared to the sheer unabating horror of the novel.

I always thought that was intentional irony on Atwood’s part; that even long after our society had passed through it’s nightmare distopia phase, there were men willing to doubt a firsthand account of that time coming from a female perspective.

11 Likes

Depends if you are a highschool student trying to get out of reading the book before writing your English essay?

I might be wrong, it’s been so long since I saw it (and I was maybe a little too young when I saw it) so I probably wouldn’t remember any memorable performances if there had been any, but I agree with @Melizmatic that the movie didn’t really give you anything that the book didn’t. Although the costumes for the handmaids were really something - 1990’s dystopian future fashion at it’s finest.

4 Likes

Agreed, I think there were a few things about personal narratives being explored there but there was definitely a point about dismissing the experiences of women and other “little people”.

8 Likes

Without a doubt.

2 Likes

I’ve read this novel several times. It’s more plausible when a christofaschist is president. So, not right now. Not yet, anyway.

3 Likes

Use this link to search “Worldcat” and find the book in a library near you:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/handmaids-tale/oclc/12558693&referer=brief_results

It’s 311 pages, a quick, interesting read. Damn good book.

3 Likes

It’s the reason so many of us aren’t sure about demanding impeachment yet. Pence stepping into the position takes us down that road, without a doubt.

6 Likes

Understandable, but we have the tools for dealing with a Christofascist. We don’t have the tools for dealing with Trump, who is also letting the Christofascist run the show.

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think we have the full set of tools to deal with either option. We’re having to learn how to stand up to this as we go. And just like during the Revolutionary War, we’re going to need help from outsiders to “get the job done”.

3 Likes

I remember being impressed by the paintjobs on the limos, which were somehow simultaneously matte and glossy, like clearcoat over suede.

It’s less impressive now. I guess I hadn’t seen a lot of custom paint finishes yet back then. Still, I’d drive that.

5 Likes

That’s not even a limo, it’s an 80’s Ford POS!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.