Marie Kondo no longer finds joy in tiding things up

In about 15 years, will we see, “The Joy of Hoarding,” by Marie Kondo?

10 Likes

Clean Home
Happy Children
Sanity

Pick Two.

17 Likes

I enjoy the thought that her new book is about finding joy in floor-to-ceiling stacks of old coupon mailers and mason jars of piss.

5 Likes

I have been practicing this new Marie Condo Method for several years already, since my third ¹ child was born.

¹ And second ²
² And first

4 Likes

This sounds nice for her. I never read the first book, but I watched the show and enjoyed doing the tidying at my own place. (Never got to the paper step, though. :grimacing:)
In the show, her husband said that she liked tidying up so much because she just liked to be at home. Sounds like her success has made that possible, and yet she’s still finding meaning and trying to pass it along.

4 Likes

#1 wake up early”

charlie day lol GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

20 Likes

Is there huge hate for this woman?
Everybody I know is trying to decrease their junk, or dreading the looming problem of their parents’ junk.

3 Likes

No, it doesn’t seem like it. In past years, there was possibly resentment from parents of young kids, as she has come to realize, being perpetually tidy borders impossibility. Decreasing junk is generally not a terrible thing, but you risk falling into phobia of “clutter”, which can be as non-threatening as “we can’t have anything on the coffee table” or “we don’t need pictures on our walls”. Yeah, that’s a cold, sterile environment devoid of humanity.

8 Likes

Most of the people I know with Nannies have some degree of cleaning / housework / meal prep in their contracts. It’s usually not deep cleaning but things like tidying after the kids, laundry, and some other general tidying up are common expectations. Live in Nannies doing more of course.

Plus even if the Nanny isn’t cleaning you are ideally gaining the option to have time for chores.

2 Likes

Frankly, I just want to know the most efficient way to keep a bathroom / shower clean. I can deal with the rest of the house, but cleaning showers is painful. (Just your standard builder basic acrylic shower, no tile or anything fancy.)

The best way I’ve found to de-clutter is by moving. Nothing makes you take inventory of all the crap you have when you have to pack it (or pay someone else to do it) and then move it.

3 Likes

First, she’s addicted to the cleaning-up process. Then, like most addicts, she builds a tolerance, and must either overdose, or go cold-turkey in withdrawal. Sad. Too bad there’s no Naproxen for tidiness.

How we beat clutter: 1) Fill the walls with Ikea ‘Billy’ cabinets with glass doors and shelves. 2) Fill the cabinets with books and memorabilia that would otherwise clutter-up the house. 3) Dust occasionally. Easy.

1 Like

As became Ms. Kondo’s motivation for tidying, the headline is missing a ‘y’.

3 Likes

I guess that “y” wasn’t sparking jo.

9 Likes

14 Likes

Nicely said. I was also thinking about how professionals in other fields are famous for this behavior. The meticulous car mechanic with the junker taking up permanent residency in the driveway, etc.

3 Likes

Approach the item and determine whether it no longer brings you joy. If this is the case, embrace it, thank it, and tell it to stay.

3 Likes

The hatred people have against her has always puzzled me.

I wonder where it comes from.

Her being a woman? Her suggesting that capitalist excess might not always spark joy? Her being Japanese?

It’s never, as far as I can tell, about anything she ever actually says in her TV show or her book.

6 Likes

Have you read her book or watched her show?

What you describe is nothing like what she actually advocates.

2 Likes

That’s sounds nice. Tidy is for dating people. “Lived in” is for parents.

Right?!? She gets so misrepresented. I’ve seen people complaining that she demands you get rid of half your stuff or other balderdash. Part of what I loved about her process is that it is zero percent about “getting rid” of stuff and 100% about taking stock of what you have and making sure you still want it, then making sure you have a place for it to live. :woman_shrugging:t2:
I did it room by room in our house a few years ago, and our kitchen is still way better off for it.

10 Likes