Masks designed to filter smoke will filter smoke, beards will not

An alternative plan it to vape so much with a really strong smelling variety, that the wild fire needs a mask to protect itself from your vape.

6 Likes

In Europe the establishment makes all the good beer.

2 Likes

At my job, I have to be “Fit tested” yearly to make sure that the mask that fit last year still works well this year. We have to don an N95 and then get sprayed in the face with foul tasting mixtures while we don a paper hat and dance around the room. Some see this as an annoyance, i see this as an impromptu expression of life’s absurdity.

Each different brand of N95 mask has slightly different donning and fit procedure. And they’ll each feel a little different. Assuming each fits, the “duck mask” style mask protrudes slightly more from your face and makes you feel less claustrophobic.

But what really matters is fit. If it doesn’t fit, you’re inahling the tuberculosis.

3 Likes

It seems that not everything in the world s getting worse:

2 Likes
  1. I contest that. And I’m currently based in Germany.
    “Establishment” is the larger producers, and they nearly all taste similar since the late 1990s. Germans speak of the “Krombacherisierung” of beers, but it’s more InBev / Anheuser-Busch who was to blame, AFAIR.

2. Cue “in Russia”-jokes.

2 Likes

Looking at the top left photo in the post it seems to me like that metal band should be bent and shaped to follow her nose, for a closer fit to her face. I’m assuming the band is flexible and is meant to be customized by the wearer—? It seems like bending it to fit would eliminate a gap on either side of her nose, and also probably be more comfortable across the bridge of her nose when the straps are pulled tight—?

Face%20mask%20Screen%20Shot%20bbs

1 Like

In one of my previous jobs, you had to wear something like these to work in certain areas. I decided to grow a beard so they would have to pony up for a Scott Air-Pak (SCBA) to fit me, which of course they were too cheap to do. So YAY ME, no exposure to toxic and/or carcinogenic air-borne chemicals.

1 Like

“In Europe the establishment makes all the good beer.” I contest that too. There are dozens of small breweries - micro-breweries and slightly larger - that make lovely stuff. I’m thinking particulalry of the Rebellion Brewery in Marlow, Bucks, UK.

1 Like

Very well I will amend my following statement - in Europe the difference in quality between Establishment beer and any hipster beer available does not suffice for allowing the survival of hipsters when the time of culling arrives.

1 Like

I don’t know the latest news, but

Still culling “hipster” beermakers in Europe? So you would kill the Rebellion Brewery and let J.W. Lees live? That’s just plain wrong.:rage:

Additional coaching on the masks and evacuation advice here:

I’m not saying the following are super easy to find right now, but for the record, please consider the examples below if you have the luxury of time and planning:

(I live in a high risk urban-wildland interface, and we have been doing work every month in our neighborhood to meet Firewise Communities guidelines. We are a very long way from ideal out here, but I have had to get serious about “bug out bags,” escape routes, cutting down or limbling up junipers, and so much more. These smoke hoods are on my shopping list as well.)

Yes, there is that :frowning: I think the “unknown country” ended up being China, didn’t it?

1 Like

I’ve done a fair amount of fit testing in the industrial world. I’d heard stories about banana oil (aka ‘the honor system’), but that’s still used?!??

We used particle counters with a bypass into the mask. It was very instructive to watch the interior particle count change as the wearer dealt with the straps and such. (It was also instructive to learn how many rooms and sometimes entire buildings never achieved an ambient count low enough to be considered Class M.)

And you’re right, it’s all about the fit. A half face respirator that fits correctly, and is worn correctly, can achieve better actual filtration than a full face respirator that seems about right but doesn’t pass negative and positive [pressure checks].(https://www.gemplers.com/tech/respfitcheck.htm) (That’s essentially an N-95 being able to qualify as an N-9999, IIRC).

I think so. Of course that doesn’t narrow it down much!

The reason why the use PM0.3 for testing is that is about the size that penetrates through filter mediums best. Smaller particles are strongly affected by Brownian motion and tend to hit a filter fiber (especially if you have a large filter area, and consequently low filter flow velocity).

They don’t filter gases, but you can get respirators rated for gases as well, as you’d want those for painting.

Yeah, just flew back to SoCal late this afternoon/early evening, and the comments from everyone on the plane as the sun was setting were along the lines of “ooh! It’s so beautiful!”.

I’m sitting here thinking… Goddamnit, I do not want to have to wear my f-ing shop respirator if I’m going to do much outside.

And how messed up is it that GirlChild’s school seems to have somewhat frequent “air-quality days” where the kids can’t even go play outdoors because of air quality issues?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.