Mass shooting at Munich shopping mall

You may or may not be a wacko, but yeah, we have laws and you would be put in prison. Even Mongols had laws among themselves. Try killing the Khan and see how far that got you.

I think @nimelennar point is that people can do evil things with out being insane. In truth most insane people are relatively harmless.

Then again, what one considers clinically insane and what one describes as insane behavior are two different things as well. Deviating from social norms alone certainly doesn’t make one insane alone. And indeed when one does do that, it is usually harmless as well (i.e. a weird hair style or something.)

Also, which spelling are we talking about?

@nimelennar’s point, I think, is that crazy people are usually not dangerous, but they’re unfairly stigmatized as being so. True enough. But I would argue that most dangerous people are ipso facto crazy. (That’s what I meant by saying that it’s not a commutative property.)

“W(h)acko.” Also “gaol.”

1000 years from now we might all be vegans and the notion of eating animals for food is considered insane.

Here’s hoping!

But, assuming you aren’t a vegan or vegetarian, I doubt eating a steak right now makes you feel especially crazy.

Nah, it just makes me feel kinda sick. Or rather it did last time I tried it.

Can I simply say “I think this shooter is/was mentally ill”? Is it the comparison itself which you find offensive?

Because if it is, then whether or not that comparison uses various words, which over time have occupied various locations on the euphemism treadmill, really does not make much difference.

Just don’t mention the shooter’s balls…

2 Likes

Funny how some “euphemisms” are deemed worthy of discussion around here, and some aren’t.

3 Likes

only greater Munich - and I was out of town and have a lot of reading to do about local news. humanity turned totally even more crazy overnight…

4 Likes

nah, @jsroberts lives in Hamburg. @fnordius is the happy mutant in Munich

3 Likes

Ah, geez, thanks! He and I had a PM going, but it seems to have disappeared (maybe because of the ban? that would be a glitch in the setup, in my opinion) so I forgot which major city it was, but at least I did remember that your’s was…well, you haven’t mentioned it here, so I won’t, but I do remember it wasn’t Munich itself.

1 Like

the whole mess (also combined with the attacks in Würzburg, Reutlingen and Ansbach) is a heyday for the conservative law&order politicians:

• first-person shooters (“killer games” in German polispeak) are evil
  • the internet is evil
  • the military needs to be deployed as police force within the country
  • abolition of the wall between secret services and police
  • judicial control prevents effective police work
4 Likes

Mod note: Stay on topic.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.