Massive anthology of Twenty First Century science fiction hits shelves today

[Permalink]

SciFi writers sure have one hella shelf life…Cory’s been peddling his scribbles for 25 years now, and he’s still referred to as a “new writer.”

“Massive” and “Science Fiction” got me thinking. One of the reasons I love ebooks is that it physically makes it easier to read big books. You get to the middle section of some of them and it counts as pec exercise.

I bought the last edition of the classic Encyclopedia of Science Fiction a few years back - now THAT thing really needs an ebook edition.

560 pages for this anthology? I could read that in dead tree format but I’d want to warm up first and do some stretches.

1 Like

Ah, an anthology of “important” writers. As opposed to authors that actually sold large amounts of books that WEREN’T TV/Movie/Game spinoffs. I’ve got pretty much everything Cory has written, most of Stross and Robinson, and early Scalzi (his later stuff doesn’t do much for me). Some Bear and Walton. But the rest ?? I’ve been in and around fandom since the 1970s, and yet I recognize less than half the names on the list.

Yet big sellers like Ringo or Weber. . . .nowhere to be seen. Sounds like the Hugos: nowadays, an echo chamber for elite Litfen and their propeller beanies. . .

“I bought the last edition of the classic Encyclopedia of Science Fiction a few years back - now THAT thing really needs an ebook edition.”

Then you’ll want the 3rd edition: http://sf-encyclopedia.com/

"I’ve been in and around fandom since the 1970s, and yet I recognize less than half the names on the list. "

I’ve been around fandom since the mimd 60s and recognize most of the names.

"Yet big sellers like Ringo or Weber. . . .nowhere to be seen. Sounds like the Hugos: nowadays, an echo chamber for elite Litfen and their propeller beanies. . . "

All the readers of Weber & Ringo have to do is to join Worldcon, nominate, and vote.

1 Like

We have. Skunked every time. On the other hand, living well is the best revenge. Especially if you’re in the SF Ghetto of Mil-SF. . .

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.