Massive steel labyrinth

[Read the post]

Sorry, that’s not technically a labyrinth, that’s a maze. A labyrinth has a single through-route with twists and turns but without branches. A maze is a confusing pathway that has many branches, choices of path and dead-ends. http://www.diffen.com/difference/Labyrinth_vs_Maze

And in the center, there are Cenobites. “Ahh yes - we have been waiting.”

Technically, the piece is called “The Labyrinth” named from the greek myth and is considered a maze. If you had maybe read the accompanying link you would have realized this.

I want to go to there.

Seriously, that’s awesome.

Thank you. Yes, I see. I’m just a stickler, especially when it comes to mazes being called labyrinths generically. So this maze is called “Labyrinth” which confuses the issue even further. Thanks for pointing it out. I should have read the article.

All good. David should have named the piece “Massive Steel Maze” originally for sure.

From the much-more in-depth Wikipedia article cited by your article, the word “Labyrinth” comes specifically from the one built by Daedalus, and that that labyrinth most likely was understood to have branching paths:

the unicursal seven-course “Classical” design became associated with the Labyrinth on coins as early as 430 BC, and became widely used to represent the Labyrinth – even though both logic and literary descriptions make it clear that the Minotaur was trapped in a complex branching maze.

The OED includes the definition

Labyrinth: A structure consisting of a number of intercommunicating passages arranged in bewildering complexity, through which it is difficult or impossible to find one’s way without guidance; a maze.

Encyclopedia Brittanica:

Labyrinth, also called maze, system of intricate passageways and blind alleys.

It’s clear that “Labyrinth” has two valid uses: (1) a maze, (2) when distinguishing it from other mazes, a maze with only one path.

(Expect the same response if you tell us we shouldn’t refer to a car’s velocity.)

I don’t think anyone was confused. It’s a thing you can get lost in.

In other words, English is not akin to Fortran.

Maybe the Minotaur was just easily disoriented. Don’t judge, you’d be disoriented too if you had livestock for a head.

Too bullheaded to ask for directions

From the overhead shot, it looks cute. From the ground… let’s just say, you would find me in there months from now, begging for food and water.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.