McDonald's Ads on BoingBoing

Iffen you’re truly for srs, there’s a whole mess of 'em awaiting purchase at the bottom of the page: http://shop.boingboing.net/catg/boingboing

There should really be a “SHOP” option on the nav bar along with FEATURES REVIEWS PODCASTS VIDEO FORUMS MORE ▾ .

I didn’t realize BB had a shop at all, let alone one with so much stuff.

It is on the page

Blocked by my addons. Mine looks like this -

If it were a nav bar option the folks like me who use ABP / ghostery / etc would at least know about the shop. The current setup would seem to exclude all ad block users - I would bet that is a significant percentage of BoingBoing visitors. .

1 Like

Plenty of people shop there and also there are posts put up about new products on the front door when they come out. Some how you missed them. But now you know.

That’ll learn ye.

Plz to be relating tale, if it’s not terribly awful for you to do so.
edit: (ah. posted before reading further)

Something something hoisted something something petard.

Eh, at least I know it’s there now. The inconvenience my ad blockers occasionally generate is certainly better than opening BoingBoing to find it is wall papered in McDonalds ads. I turned them off to take a look - couldn’t turn them back on fast enough :smiley:

My only concern is BB losing out on merch sales, I want this site to continue and that means they need to make money. ATM every adblock user has no easy, visible way to know that a BB shop even exists, and even now that I do know it exists there is no link on the page to take me there unless I disable my addons.

IMHO that should be fixed, and a link in the nav bar seems like the best way to me, although of course I’m not a web developer. I’m not in marketing either, but I do think it’s paramount to make it easy for potential customers to find your store and buy things there.

1 Like

I whitelist BoingBoing (when I’m on my PC or Mac). No need to disable the add ons across the hoard.

I figure its a way to make sure they don’t miss out on ad sales, since it’s free to me, this is just about the only place on the net that I do see ads.

2 Likes

Thank you. We really, really appreciate it.

It is quite literally the least i can do.

Unfortunately it wouldn’t help BB’s bottom line in my case at least. McDonalds, Best Buy, Cruise Line, American Apparel, Shanalogic… No, hell no, no, no, and once a year if that. Great sponsors to be sure, but nothing that would help me help BoingBoing.

BB also loads flash ads, which I simply will not allow under any circumstance, as well as (ghostery count at the moment) 28 widgets, beacons, and ad servers. They run blockmetrics so they can see how many of their users are running ad blockers - that should give them the info they need to decide whether it’s a good idea to have a non-blocked link to the BB store prominently featured. And you kind of have to wonder - did the percentage of users who utilize adblocking increase after the full page McDonalds wallpaper?

Me either. Just because I see the ads does not mean that I am going to click on them (not that I have money to spend on anything anyway). The fact that the BoingBoing shop link is mixed with other flashing/moving ads makes it likely that I will not notice it because I am trying to ignore the more aggressive ads. The only ads that I really look at are the sponsored posts.

I knew about the BoingBoing shop from previous posts, but if I wanted to find it I think the first place I would look would be the navigation bar at the top. I do not think it would occur to me to look for it mixed in with other ads.

It’s Hip to be Square

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

1 Like