Medieval English people used to pay their rent in eels

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/25/medieval-english-people-used-to-pay-their-rent-in-eels.html

6 Likes

Nowadays in Canada eels can only be used to pay one’s hovercraft license.

40 Likes

If only euros were so delicious now

4 Likes
5 Likes

This feels like an elaborate hoax

5 Likes

I’m probably missing a joke, but eels don’t whistle, do they? I know there’s some shrieking ones off the coast of Florin, but that’s miles away.

13 Likes

Indeed

21 Likes

I bet that monastery had one heck of an eel cookbook.

9 Likes

This is truly bizarre. Really out there.

So’s this.

25 Likes

In a world without much cash, this sort of thing made life easier for the landlord and the tenant.

7 Likes

When the eels pay your rent,
As a currency spent,
It’s a moray.

57 Likes

Fun fact - the lead singer of the Eel’s father was Hugh Everett III, originator of the many worlds interpolation of quantum theory.

This really should have been the first post.

15 Likes

The eel payments used common volume measurements: hogshead, tun, barrel, and hovercraft.

14 Likes

Came, saw, left satisfied after the shrieking eels video. But one last thing…

You know how I know they’re using some “English” system? Because otherwise you’d have a 25 eels instead of a “stick”, and you’d have 250 eels instead of a “bind”.

10 Likes

In Boston (Lincolnshire, UK) musicians were banned in the 1200s. If they wanted to live in the town they had to pay more than they could realistically afford - in fact it was more than an eeling

6 Likes

11 Likes

Yeah. It plays off of the all too human weakness for analogies, We’re supposed to think that just because rents in England were paid in goods like grain (or favours like a military service) that this somehow extends to something like the eel. What’s next? Are we supposed to enter into the mind of a medieval peasant, and imagine an alternative to the centuries old federal reserve note? It’s a plot, I tell you. He’s trying to educate us!

7 Likes

My orchardist grandfather said he paid his Farm Bureau membership with walnuts but I’m not sure I believe him.

2 Likes

A surfeit of eels.

9 Likes

Eel-aborate

6 Likes