Medieval music recreated and performed for the first time in 1000 years

again, thank you. thirds and minor sevenths are the devil.

I agree; after reading through, it seems more like “we’ve done all this painstaking research, so we think we’ve got it closer than before”. But no one really knows, any more than they would know exactly how latin was pronounced back in the day. We can make educated guesses, even very educated guesses, but aural traditions are lost to time.

And this being academia, I have no doubt that other musicologists are at this moment muttering “what frauds, I’ll prove them wrong!”

Even in more recent, better documented musical periods like classical and baroque, very well researched groups of period performance practice can come to very different conclusions.

3 Likes

Do you mean minor thirds or major thirds?

Aieeee! (/CatapultedIntoInfinity)

1 Like

In various kinds of mean tone, the comma was distributed to certain fifths, in amounts anywhere from a quarter comma to a 6th comma, in order to make musica ficta usable. That means that certain fifths would be relatively pure, with increasing impurity as you moved away from the home key, until you reached wolf fifths in the notes that were never used at the same time as an interval (e.g., G♯ - E♭).

Tuning is a vexèd matter; it has always been a matter of compromise. Pythagorean just intonation slights thirds and seconds, given that these are formed by stacked fifths which don’t add up to the Ptolemaic proportions, i.e., they aren’t pure. They are pretty far from pure in equal temperament as well. That’s why I say that, if you are hearing the differences between tunings, you are likely noting the differences between thirds and seconds.

Edit: an example from my own work, using Dechales’s 1/5-comma meantone. It’s in B Locrian (contrasted by the relative Mixolydian, and later, the tonic Mixolydian), and ends on a tierce de Picardie. Listen to how the D♯ sticks out in the final cadence.

6 Likes

are we talking mixolydian scales?

3 Likes

I thought the augmented fourth was the Diabolis in musica

3 Likes

Definitely, after your actual ‘exact octave’, your ‘very nearly perfect fifth’ is going to be the next thing to aim for. Then the fifth of the fifth (yer major 2nd) is going to be slightly more wobbly, etc. By the time you’ve got your full diatonic/heptatonic scale - including the fifth of the fifth of the fifth of the fifth of the fifth of the fifth, (yer tritone), you’re going to be less and less successful at maintaining accurate, transposable, rationalisations. No wonder those guys in the east stopped at pentatonics.

Goodness. We’ve already invoked Pythagoras and Ptolemy. Who invited Plato?

By which I mean to say, who defines ‘pure’ or ‘ideal’? Now, as for the nineteen note scales …

(I’ll get my coat).

2 Likes

Ptolemaic just intonation works with the simple ratios, there being more than one form of just intonation, eh? It has its own problems. :wink:

In some ways, music is only lightly tied to the physics of sound. There are always compromises brought on by competing requirements (especially since the advent of polyphony).

Love it! Its gorgeous ‘astringency’ is due to its modulation into a different key, so the 'mis’tuning is bound to become more obvious if you do that. The guys in the topical piece stay in the same key, so maybe your contention is that it would not have ‘room’ to sound all that odd (to us), even if it had been played in the tuning of the time? I might consider conceding that much, I suppose.

1 Like

That’s exactly what is happening. I can hear some movement from what we’re used to in the seconds and thirds, but bear in mind one other thing: singers (and string players) also tend to “shade” their intervals in the direction of movement, and they probably always have.

3 Likes

Nggghhhh. Difficult to ‘prove’. Wouldn’t that also imply a ‘destination’, which has as much problems as some ideal, pure, ultimate tuning? Like a direction for evolution?

But the system is warning me that I’m hogging the topic so I’m stopping.

Not at all difficult: it’s a melodic tendency that is particularly noticeable in leading tones: lower leading tones tend to be raised in practice, and upper leading tones tend to be flattened a bit. The destination, of course, is the following note.

The reason isn’t “ideal tuning”, because these tendencies diverge from any ideal; it has to do with adjustment according to melodic function.

1 Like

Saw Benjamin Bagby perform Beowulf (or a third of it) at Cal Performances in Berkeley a few years ago, which was a treat.

I haven’t a fucking clue what’s going on above in this thread. Probably terrorism.

2 Likes

System be buggered!

Sometimes a conversation among a few experts is exactly what the topic requires.

I’m a very interested and entertained spectator in this thread; I don’t have a horse in this race. But it pleases me mightily to observe experts disagreeing in so civil a fashion :smile:

3 Likes

Yup. We’re going to break out the shawms, bombards, racketts and serpents, and the world will find out the true meaning of terror…

6 Likes

(my bracketed precis)

Oh no, I wasn’t saying that. I just mean that - like the idea of some ‘perfect platonic’ scale, independent of instrumentality and physics - the shading of intervals in the direction of movement (which is how you originally put it) would have had to imply an actual direction of movement known by the performer. The tonic/resolution might be ‘miles away’ at that point. Which seemed to me as strange as the idea that an ancient eohippus was minded to evolve into a modern horse. (That the modern horse is the perfect platonic horse is a quite distinct ‘difficulty’).

Obviously with voice-leading where the target is the very next note, that’s not an issue.

2 Likes

As a musician, I say you are spot on.

I’m convinced that the key to rupturing space-time involves the discrepancies between mathematical ratios and the physical as manifested in sound waves and intonation. At least that’s what I tell myself to stay sane. “yeah, I’m not playing out of tune, it’s the laws of the universe fucking with me”.

5 Likes

Yeah, but the range can be longer: most melodies imply long-range goals. If I add leaps and changes of register, there is usually an implication that note left hanging before the leap has a deferred destination. A string player might well shade the note according to the implied function. Most of those functions are set by convention anyway, so they’ll be in the players’ fingers.

It’s actually hard to combat when you’re singing: if you know you’re going down the scale to a particular note, you have to consciously fight going down too quickly. Hard to explain (for me…no formal training). Basically, you have to think of lifting up each note a little higher than feels natural so they don’t start going flat in a run to that bottom note.

2 Likes

Especially in a monotonically increasing/decreasing scale runs up/down to the tonic? Riiight. That’s probably why a composer, knowing that performers have been trained thuswise, must force the issue by writing explicit instructions not to do such anticipations. Probably harder (but an interesting challenge) for the performer, but the composer’s the boss!

(If that’s what the composer wants - they may be happy enough to go with the norm.)