Meet a lone prospector who pans for gold and actually finds it

I watched a video from a guy who scooped up grit from the highway, and managed to extract silver and platinum from it. The process cost more than he produced, but it seems like it could scale up if you had a street sweeper.

2 Likes

I felt the same on my secondary highway bicycle trek from Texas to California. There’s so much discarded aluminum out there, you could probably buy a car with the proceeds if you had a truck and the wherewithal to do it.

1 Like

If you’re here in So. Cal. you can go to the east fork of the San Gabriel river to do some recreational panning/sluicing. I’m not sure that I ever found enough to even pay for gas, but it’s fun, and gave me a good excuse to get outside. And to boot, I’ve got a little vial of flakes/fines to show for it.

Scrapping electronics for precious metals is a much more efficient way to get “free” gold though.

2 Likes

That would be Cody’s Lab on YouTube. A wondrous repository of wildly dangerous and strange chemistry experiments.

3 Likes

We’ll be up near Coloma for Memorial Day, not for the gold, but for the whitewater. Love that area, much more than the fake version at CalifAdventure in SoCal.

1 Like

A working fucking gold claim, BoingBoing, and thank you for allowing me my full range of expression.

And he’s so happy when he finds it.

1 Like

My wife and I spent a lovely few hours in the Applegate valley in southern oregon panning, there are a few places in the area that are specifically available to the public- I get nervous about how people get about mineral claims and wouldn’t want to accidentally be somewhere I shouldn’t. But it was fun and super chill, had a beautiful spot on the river and came away with a few specks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.