With water down, gold prospecting is up in California

[Read the post]

1 Like

I believe technically you’re supposed to find the silver lining.

10 Likes

It’s there…

he can see mercury balls

4 Likes

Thankfully, it’s not like most methods of gold extraction both require and potentially contaminate substantial amounts of water, so this should go swimmingly.

3 Likes

Sorry, you didn’t hear? Pool’s closed. Plenty of sand to play in, though!

1 Like

I’d love to try it. I panned once in Colorado, but it was from a sluice box, so it wasn’t like authentic outdoor panning.

2 Likes

Hmmm, I’ll be meeting my wife and her co-worker up there this weekend…

4 Likes

Scene coming to a California creek near you:

Also can’t pass up a chance at posting Clint Eastwood singing, explaining just what the allure is:

2 Likes

Whereabouts exactly? I’d like to go camping this summer up there.

10 Likes

was waiting for somebody to take advantage of the set-up…

1 Like

I am a huge fan of Sardine Lake. There is a swimming pond, a lake stocked with trout where my daughter never fails to catch dinner, and tons of great hiking, fishing and gold panning around.

US Federal camping site is here:

There is also a “resort” there that is very cute. Good restaurant, nice people.

The entire river system there is EXCELLENT for panning for gold. I have a book here I’ll take down and share (I am surprised I haven’t already) on the website.

Sardine Lake was a mining tail-out.

1 Like

Fantastic. Thanks! I think I have a book on panning somewhere when I was super interested in doing it years ago, but I seem to have lost it.

Nemo is always welcome and well loved by the campsite hosts at Sardine Lake too. Dogs WELCOME.

My roommate literally booked a cabin at sardine lake within 5 minutes of me sending it to her. Two dogs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

People have been able to pan for gold in southern California for decades, whether or not there’s a drought.

1 Like

If you want to pan for gold, become a well-paid critic.

2 Likes

Friend of mine used to go gold-panning when she lived in New Mexico. Said it was very much like going fishing; there’s a nominal goal you’re hoping to get lucky and achieve, but really you’re having fun hanging out outdoors on a hot day with a cool river keeping your six-pack of beer cold.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.