Meet the artist whose genetic mutation means she can see 100 times more colors than you

Interesting - I was somewhat surprised to score a 0, though I frequently had to flip tiles back and forth over each other to check the gradient.

2 Likes

Colours unknown to the terrestrial mind, you say?

8 Likes

Quite possibly yes. Because the dog paint store might have a whole range of pigments available that dogs perceived as “yellow” but humans might perceive as red or orange.

4 Likes

:thinking:

This one was also tough, especially that last question- it can be hard to distinguish an S and a 5 even in black and white!

6 Likes

Don’t forget the disclaimer that it’s not a mantis or a shrimp (but crustacean;) I figure it’s one of those murky ocean bottom colors, with a splash of something interesting. And it paints in shell damage, so it’s a lot like the soldier shown a swastika who chooses to shoot a heart (really, any other Hindu emoji for stuff) in the wall at best.

Still, what color is #4 for this up to 15% of women? Yellow? Verdigris? NIR II? Totes enjoy painting in clear (any alpha channel) of course. The important thing is that she make and/or launder 4/3 of the Bored Ape money and/or 100x the profits, into exploratory art.

10 Likes

Dogs would only stock one yellow, not three yellows that look exactly the same.

They’d have LOTS of different wooden paint brushes, though. All those sticks!

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing that test. I enjoyed it. I got 2; and I’m quite surprised by that. I assumed I’d do poorly for some reason (unless this is actually one of those click-bait, “Only 1 in a million can do this thing!” where everyone scores well, and shares it with their friends.

5 Likes

Think about it this way. If a person with red/green colorblindness was put in charge of manufacturing and organizing pigments, they might stock a section of the paint aisle with colors that they perceived to be slightly different versions of the same hue. But a person who was not red/green colorblind might walk into that aisle and say “why are all the reds mixed in with the greens? Those are two totally different colors!”

9 Likes

If you started Vincent Van Dogh with Cadmium Yellow, I’m sure that would be the last one they’d use. I imagine that dog-artists would tend to chew their tubes of paint.

4 Likes

Real life example of how a guy* with red-green colorblindness decided he would “fix” scratches in his wood floor:

He can’t tell the difference between green, red or brown.

[*not Mr. Kidd, a coworker’s dear husband.]

18 Likes

They cannot differentiate on hue, only value and saturation. So if they are stocking colors based on hue with standardized value and saturation, then they would stop making pigments as soon as they made a single yellow. Now yes, that one yellow might be green or red to someone with typical vision, but there’s no reason to keep adding yellows whose hues are identical.

If you’ve ever bought art supplies you know that any given color comes in a range of pigments manufactured from a wide variety of materials. To you and I “Arylide yellow” and “Naples yellow” may look almost identical, but to someone who perceived the spectrum differently they might not even look similar.

10 Likes

Wouldn’t dog-artists be more inclined to paint in odours?

Pictured: guerilla artist, Barksey, has finally been caught in the act.

12 Likes

Yes, I agree with that. But it’d be dumb luck that we’re selling 4 cone colors in a 3 cone world.

1 Like

And 100 million more colors than Liberal Ken & Karen see, because…

Dammit, where did I put that other cone?

I scored 0 as well. Not particularly surprised, I’ve been involved with photography professionally and as a hobby for my entire adult life. Used to do custom retouching of color prints in the film days.

5 Likes

It’s a thing. She is trying to present colors to us that we have not only never seen, but are physiologically incapable of ever seeing. So yeah, it looks trippy because she is trying to bring it down to our level.

13 Likes

I Mean Come On GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

10 Likes

This was fun! Thanks for the link.

I got a perfect score! I dunno why I’m so happy about that though, I’ve enjoyed working with color my whole life and haven’t noticed any changes in my vision.

I just got somebody with colorblindness try it and they got a 4, which is still pretty good, but they have a lot of experience working around the colorblindness.

8 Likes

Well I made it 46 seconds into the video before the ultra-irritating techno-pop drove me off.